Port Request Possibility

fdnyubergeek

Still Fresh
Website
www.xanderdraven.com
Just curious how easy/would it be possible to port apps from Maemo? My fav image viewer was Quiver, and I was curious if it could be done/how to go about doing it. Also MCEGuru, and there was another app that made your n810 into a bluetooth keyboard and touchpad for your pc.
Thanks for any help in advance.

http://www.mceguru.com/
http://maemo.org/downloads/search/application.html?org_openpsa_products_search[1][property]=title&org_openpsa_products_search[1][constraint]=LIKE&org_openpsa_products_search[1][value]=quiver&org_openpsa_products_search[2][property]=os&org_openpsa_products_search[2][constraint]=LIKE&org_openpsa_products_search[2][value]=OS2008&fetch=Search

Maemo is based on Debian GNU/Linux and draws much of its GUI, frameworks, and libraries from the GNOME project. It uses the Matchbox window manager, and the GTK-based Hildon as its GUI and application framework.
This suggests it would just take a recompilation.

Awesome. Are there any good walkthroughs around for porting apps between distros? I am a releatively new linux user, and part of the reason I bought a pandora was to learn the linux world better.

There are no tutorials (well, there might be in some obscure place/form), and here's why: In general porting is done by developers and for developers, porting can range from hitting the recompile button to rewriting 98% of the applications codebase. It is impossible to write a porting tutorial unless you wanna pull a Donald Knuth and write several behemoths of books to fully cover the subject.

Hi & Welcome! Zhasha's right, it's more of a case by case sort of thing. It might be worthwhile to start smaller (although I don't know how far along you are in the learning process). Try compiling some programs from source on your main computer just to get a feel for it (it's usually not all that bad, most problems are usually dependency related - a simple fix). Chances are if you run into a wall you can find a solution rather quickly by googling the error code/undesired output (of course there will be other times where it takes you days to get something running ;P). It can seem intimidating at first, but if you tackle it head on you'll know the ropes soon enough. =]

P.s.- Tnx for your service, I've got a lot of EMTs & fire fighters in my family & the effort that goes in is astounding. Can't imagine what It's like in Brooklyn.

Back