Portable Dreamcast

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
It looks a little fragile though.

Whaddaya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-Dreamcast-Portable-System-Mod-DC-Console-DIY-2010-/390246568021?pt=Video_Games&hash=item5adc821055#ht_3077wt_1139

EDIT: Here's a pic of it.

dc00.jpg

Personally I'd say that as impressive as it is, it's not really a portable console, it's a novelty item. If you're really serious about dreamcast on the go then wait a year or 2 until the machine is emulatable in a portable form on a device much smaller and less power hungry.

Jourdy288 said:
Nice, what's the battery life like?

i dont even think there is a battery, but if there was i would imagine the battery life to be abysmal. XD

I would pass on this portable DC. Why not try and find a treamcast instead?

EDIT: Dude, i just looked at the pics, the bottom looks like part of a slim PS2 XD.

Last edited by a moderator:
With that Dreamcast, you would look at least 100 times cooler than I look with my Game Gear... I think it looks awesome, but I don't think it is worth the price tag. I emulate Dreamcast games on my netbook which has an Xbox controller (the smaller version) hooked up to it. Whenever I get bored, I whip out some Shenmue or Sonic. (lol) It took me forever to get NullDC working, and I had to install Windows XP in addition to my existing Windows 7 for it to work without lagging like I'm trying to play Shin Megami Tensei online on a Sony Vaio PCG-R505GL from 2005 with 256MB of ram and a 633MHz processor.

That thing is seriously larger in volume and mass than the computer I'm using right now. That's not a good sign. (lol)

Well, I guess its practical if you travel on a ferry often (like I do) and get bored (like I do.) I plugged in my Game Gear to play it on the ferry a few times. It's quite fun. If you really like Dreamcast games, and you can think of multiple situations where portable hand-held Dreamcast is practical, then go for it.

Oh, and make sure you NEVER buy a portable Saturn!!! (Which thankfully doesn't exist, AFAIK.)

Exophase said:
What's your netbook Com64? Is it a CULV?

Oh, an HP Mini 110-1118CA... It's not a Consumer Ultra-Low Voltage. It came with a 3-6 hour battery (depending on what you are doing) that juts out of the bottom of the unit by about 2.5 cm. I would recommend a newer model HP Mini for many reasons.

Some rants about the things I hate about my netbook:
I wish I could change the damn clock speed! HP blocked changing the clock speed... but there is a way if you de-solder a part.
The battery is HUGE! I have to disconnect it every time I pack it away.
The CPU fan shattered, had it fixed.
After it was fixed, HP left a tiny piece of card paper inside it by accident, and the fan jammed. I had to open it up to get it out.
The power and WLAN switches are TERRIBLE! They are on the front, they are way too bright, and they shine in your eyes during certain situations. My WLAN switch doesn't even work properly anymore. I have to jam it in will a lot of force to trigger it.
The mouse buttons are left and right of the mousepad, hard to get used to at first...
The left mouse button became extremely loose, got it fixed.
No number lock! (well, it's a netbook...)
Memory Stick Pro Duo cards do not fit into the card reader.
Cannot screw in a VGA cable, I have to just plug it in (well, its better that way, so the laptop doesn't fall when the cord is tugged.)
No telephone jack, cannot send/receive faxes (yes, I know... it's out-dated.)
No DV port for my Camcorder (yes, I still have a camcorder)
No Serial/Parallel ports for programming circuits and flashing stuff.
Scratches easily.
Screen resolution is 1024x600; some programs need that extra 172032 pixels, but I can get around that in Windows XP by forcing a >=1024x768 resolution.
Comes with Windows 7 Starter. I think it is too cut-down. Cannot extend desktop, cannot use aero, cannot change desktop background, loss of other features. I decided to install Windows 7 Ultimate, Arch Linux, and Windows XP Professional SP3. I always disable visual themes and system sounds.
Some applications and the command line do not support full-screen mode.
No optical drives... I get by by either using ISOs (worst-case) or using an optical drive from another computer as a network drive.
I don't like the webcam and microphone. I don't ever use them.
I remember 720i streaming videos being choppy... at least in Windows 7.

Things I like about it:
Very portable. Light.
AC adapter is a great size.
Screen isn't glossy/reflective.
Nice card reader. I use it for extra storage.
Mouse pad is nice... I like it.
Keyboard is a little smaller, and a couple of keys are squished in there, but it's fine. I ALMOST can thumb-type on it comfortable. Have trouble thumb-typing some middle characters. They keyboard includes a French layout in blue along with English in white... Great for multilingual people like me, but I have it all memorized.
It ran every emulator I tried out. (including PS2 and Dreamcast... my Vaio could emulate the Dreamcast...)
It ran games like Halo CE, RCT3, Garry's Mod... you get the idea. Haven't tried Halo 2 or anything like that yet. I tried GTA4, but the framerate was terrible.
Runs movies in fullscreen. Looks great.
Sound is great, though the headphone port is also the microphone port. not such a big deal, unless I want to record something and hear it at the same time, but whatever.
USB ports are all 2.0... YAY
WLAN adapter works under Linux!
The hinges are nice and solid. I have never seen such great hinges on a laptop.
USB ports are beside each other, not stacked! Perfect...

Heyz~

Mates, I've decided that, stuff these self made/mod portable consoles!!! I'mma get myself a mid or umpc in December...
Looking into an eKing M5 at the moments.

kthxbai~

I'm always impressed by these portable consoles, but thoroughly underwhelmed by their casing. The only exception I can really think of is Ben Heck. His stuff always looks so purdy.

Exophase said:
One of these days those PSOne screens are gonna run out ;p
What are we going to do then..?

Back