[Portrequest] XBMC

thatgui

Advanced Member
I'd like use the beta release of XBMC Frodo as reason to make a port request.

As there was a port some months/years ago it seems not impossible.

The Pi port of XBMC is brilliant because they've taken the time to incorporate the Broadcom hardware accelerated codecs for MPEG4 and MPEG2(with additional license). Otherwise XBMC would be useless on an ARM11 @700Mhz.

What *should* work out for us is that the DM3730 in the 1Ghz Pandora has TI codecs available for many many codecs.

A killer app for me is the ability to use the Pandora as a MythTV frontend so I can watch my live/timeshifted MPEG2 @ 12MBps and MPEG4 @ 5MBps recordings. Has anyone even tried to use the TI codecs with GStreamer or anything else?

This is the challenge I'll concentrate on if/when I get my Pandora.

It's also a native APK for android. Maybe someone can use that or similar.

What *should* work out for us is that the DM3730 in the 1Ghz Pandora has TI codecs available for many many codecs.
However, the Pi has hardware support for these via its GPU and AFAIK directly exposes it through OpenMax, we only have a generic DSP which needs a kernel module on its own to be of any use, using codecs this way requires a little bit more than just supporting a generic interface.

There is, however, some kind of GStreamer module that is supposed to work with TI's DSP codecs.

However, the Pi has hardware support for these via its GPU and AFAIK directly exposes it through OpenMax, we only have a generic DSP which needs a kernel module on its own to be of any use, using codecs this way requires a little bit more than just supporting a generic interface.

There is, however, some kind of GStreamer module that is supposed to work with TI's DSP codecs.

So the Pandora's DSP is wired differently than the Pi's? How can that be when it's the same SoC? I would have thought we could just about drop a Pi image on an SD card and make it work (granted all the 'outside' stuff probably would need work).

And ya, GStreamer has been heavily supported by TI. As far as XBMC goes though, the Pi XBMC should work with accel if we can provide an equivalent OS/modules environment for it to run in shouldn't it? I remember way back there was an issue with using the DSP because RAM needed to be set aside for it and there wasn't enough. But then that was back with the OMAP, so perhaps not relevant for the 1Ghz ones?

So the Pandora's DSP is wired differently than the Pi's? How can that be when it's the same SoC? I would have thought we could just about drop a Pi image on an SD card and make it work (granted all the 'outside' stuff probably would need work).

And ya, GStreamer has been heavily supported by TI. As far as XBMC goes though, the Pi XBMC should work with accel if we can provide an equivalent OS/modules environment for it to run in shouldn't it? I remember way back there was an issue with using the DSP because RAM needed to be set aside for it and there wasn't enough. But then that was back with the OMAP, so perhaps not relevant for the 1Ghz ones?
Same SOC? What are you talking about? The Raspberry Pi is using an ARMv6 Processor while we have an ARMv7. The only likeness to a Pi is that both are using an ARM Processor. Also the DSP chips are totally different chips.

EDIT: Oh I think I know. You most propably mixed up the Raspberry Pi with the Beagleboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Same SOC? What are you talking about? The Raspberry Pi is using an ARMv6 Processor while we have an ARMv7. The only likeness to a Pi is that both are using an ARM Processor. Also the DSP chips are totally different chips.

EDIT: Oh I think I know. You most propably mixed up the Raspberry Pi with the Beagleboard.

I need to sleep more. Single parenting a three and a one year old who doesn't sleep well is really hard work. Wife's back on tuesday tho!

Man! I really got that mixed up hey?

Is it possible to port OpenElec?

If we can get a touch friendly XBMC running, it would be awesome.

PVR DVB-T and all over goodies!

I did try to run XBMC on android: failed to launch every time I tried to open it.

Tried a few version, no luck.

Myth TV works on Slackware since 13.37.

I didn't try to compile XBMC. Maybe someone can test.

Back