Qj.net Making People Pay For Downloads

wraggster

Certified Guru
Website
www.dcemu.co.uk
Ive been watching the PSPupdates site since it came along and with all that paying for membership stunt they pulled, well now they have a new server/download site and it looks like they will either charge a membership fee or charge for downloads, heres some comments posted at the updates site:

"am i the only one who noticed that you must PAY TO DOWNLOAD ???

By jocool, at 10:59 AM

you only have to pay for downloads on SOME stuff... big files."

Heres the link and look and the terms and conditions --> http://dl.qj.net/

btw they have a gp2x section, you may want to make sure that your releases arent on a pay for download site.

wraggster posted on Dec 15 2005 at 08:34 PM said:
"am i the only one who noticed that you must PAY TO DOWNLOAD ???

By jocool, at 10:59 AM
http://dl.qj.net/

btw they have a gp2x section, you may want to make sure that your releases arent on a pay for download site.

Hehehe, looks like they already deleted this post :)

Last edited by a moderator:
they have nothing as of now for gp2x, but everyone should put in the terms of service or what ever for their gp2x programs that it can't be on that site :p

Sigh, Wraggster, here you are again stirring up trouble.

What Wraggster doesn't understand, is the dl.qj.net is a download site. Similar to Fileplanet, Filefront, etc. It hosts and will host LARGE downloads such as PC game patches, PC game demos, mods, etc, which are completely unrelated to the GP2X and PSP homebrew files we host there. These are the large files (up to 1 gig) that when downloaded thousands of times, eat up TERABYTES of bandwidth. And dl.qj.net charges a small (10-25 cents) fee for the bandwidth.

IT JUST SO HAPPENS that we run a gaming blog network as well, including pspupdates.qj.net, and our newly opened gp2x.qj.net. Since we have created such a great download site we also host our homebrew files on dl.qj.net as well.

These homebrew files always have been, and always will remain FREE. They are small files for our users to get free, just like they have for the last year that our blog network has been in existence. Do you see us charging for ANY PSP file, or ANY GP2X file? NO. Do you see us charging for this PSP related 20 MB movie file that has been downloaded 12 THOUSAND times in a couple weeks, eating up 200 GB of our bandwidth at our expense? NO.

Honestly I don't know what Wraggster's problem is. Perhaps it is jealousy that a blog network similar to the great one that he runs has become so much more successful. Perhaps it is that running this blog network is our job, so we have advertisements on our site, just like joystiq.com and kotaku.com. Whatever the reason is, I am here to stifle his blather, which has unfortunately become all too common, a constant whining drone in the background of an otherwise great homebrew community.

Wraggster, if you would drop the chip on your shoulder, and just run your site instead of posting whines and complaints all the time, perhaps your site would be more successful, and perhaps you would be a happier person in general.

QJ.net never talks down any site - competitive or not. Wraggster has a great site and a great community, I only wish he would try to build upon it in a positive way instead of constantly running around talking trash. It is quite frustrating, especially when I've told him all this before, on his own forums.

I've said my piece, I won't come back and flame, I just feel that I have a right to defend myself.

Added to what Shinneri said, please note that Wraggster and Evildragon both also have download sites that have few ads, and never charge for downloading?

One thing I always hated about pspupdates, and no doubt they'll continue the tradition with gp2x updates...

They want to be "the one and only" news source, and will do anything to get that status. eg:

Stealing news from other sources and never specifying or crediting where they took it from.

Taking downloads from other places, and modifying the archives to suit there site. Eg. modifying or removing 'readme' files as well as other documentation and source code. This even got to the point where some authors had to add splash screen to there work, and refused to release source code.

It was only a matter of time before Clay goes looking for another scene to try and take over. Now that the PSP scene is half dead and theres no more money to be made out of so called 'subscriptions' it wont be long before their GP2X site follows the same path.

I run my site as an hobby and literally no profit at all, I dont care about linking to other sites worrying that my visitors will go elsewhere. If your site is good enough your visitors will keep visiting, it seems to have worked for me now that my site is in its 8th year online.

But when your site is run as a business visitors are very important, *updates realise this and wont link to other news sites, even as going as far as censoring so called rival sites in their forums. I have seen many times on their site news appearing from other sources such as wraggsters site with absolutely no credit at all, no links to their forums where developers who release their software on it ask for feedback. It is this sort of activity that kills the scene and in my opinion this done alot of damage to the PSP scene.

*updates are bad news and their opening of a GP2X site worries me. I have been involved in many handheld scenes and their type of activity does nothing to help or promote it.

So stealing news, editing read mes, sucking up to the latest big thing, mislinking or not linking at all makes your site great and better, dont kid yourself.

You employ tactics of getting news and submitting to any big tech sites with only a link to your news and not the authors site, you pm coders to release on your forums, the list goes on but theres one thing, your site isnt better and if you look im sure youll notice that im getting more visitors that your sites :p

If your sites better why do i have at least 600 more online at all times of the day :p

Enjoy it while it lasts because everyone knows of the stunts being pulled.

Back