Release Quake 2 and 3..

downsider002

Still Fresh
Quake 2:

Will Quake 2 be available at launch? It better be :)

And another question, how does Quake 2 run without overclocking? Is that video demonstration with overclocking, or without?

Quake 3:

When should a port be expected?

How well is it anticipated to run?

EDIT:

An Armagetron port is a must.

Additional Note:

I'm no beggar, I can program as well, probably not as good as the pros here, but I can manage on my own. Maybe when I get my Pandora I'll start, but for now, I'll keep working on my PSP projects.

i'm working on porting quake and quakeworld. not q2 or q3 though. i assume the main slowdown in that q2 demo was software rendering - once it uses opengl it should fly.

The current Quake2 port is just using the raw hardware and the 'fast' FPU on the Cortex - probably the slowest set up possible - yet it still goes at 50-60fps in single player mode and 30-40fps in multiplayer, that kind of shows the power of the CPU alone.

Quake3 should make a really nice demo of the 3D hardware, it should look marvellous at 800*480.

what about return to castle wolfenstein?

Isnt that ID tech 3 ? and open source?

I'm guessing i'm missing something, as usual

Schbirid said:
phrosty said:
i'm working on porting quake and quakeworld.
Sweet! Which engines?
I posted about it in the gp32x forums earlier: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s= ... t&p=642705
I'm starting with Darkplaces for now, because it doesn't use the fixed-function pipeline in OpenGL 2.0 - should be a little easier to port. I do hope to get ezQuake ported, but it's code is a mess and looks like less fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
JePP said:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein seems to be open-source: http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/1995
It would be great to see that running, but i have no idea if it's possible.

YESSSSSSSSS
i never would have thought wolfenstein was open source

but damn, this makes me want half life even more, even though it will never happen

also what makes a game open source, because these are commercial games they couldnt give you the source to simple compile and run

do they require tools and correct set-up etc for it to compile in its current state, or is only some of the source released
this is where i get a bit confused, how can they make moeny when its open-source, does it just require model files etc to run, such as the DATA0 or whatever file in quake

thanks

JePP said:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein seems to be open-source: http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/1995
It would be great to see that running, but i have no idea if it's possible.

Sorry to to be a partykiller, but that is only an mod sdk. No engine code in there. As far as I know the whole source code for RTCW isnt released.

A bit offtopic:I have already posted in the thread on the gp32x about RTCW(http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44687). I hope a decision about which of the pandora forums will be used isnt to far away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esslan said:
JePP said:
I hope a decision about which of the pandora forums will be used isnt to far away.
+1

Quake 2 & 3 on a handheld, suddenly it's gone all 21st century!

Big thanks to all the quake devs / porters.

phrosty said:
I'm starting with Darkplaces for now, because it doesn't use the fixed-function pipeline in OpenGL 2.0 - should be a little easier to port. I do hope to get ezQuake ported, but it's code is a mess and looks like less fun!
Awesome! Darkplaces is a great engine (plus it will mean that Nexuiz is ported then). However for Quake it is sadly "suboptimal", some maps and mods use tricks that collide with the bugfixes in Darkplaces. So a port of a "real" Quake engine (with all the quirks and some of the happy bugs) like Fitzquake or that other unreleased one would be even greater for Quake.

ezQuake sure seems quite evil to port. And I don't really think it would be worth it (as "real" QW players won't play on a Pandora and for very casual playing Darkplaces might be sufficient (it supports the QW protocol). Anyways, it would be amazing to have it.

You rock!

Back