Quake2 With Nanogl

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Its working! Not pretty, comes with a nasty flicker, but hey its the best we can work with at the moment
GPH bring out that firmware your using for the demos :)

Youtube video:
CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LT5oRRfudk

Thanks to Olli Hinkka for nanoGL (opengl wrapper for opengles)

Peter R said:
Are the issues anything to do with the fact that the Wiz only supports OpenGL es 1.1 lite?
I dont think so, but who knows? If you look at the frame content (not the frame rate) it actually looks right.
Im waiting for GPH to release a new firmware. I have a cube demo that its in the demo video jbmaster put up. In the demo it looks perfect, well it doesnt look like that on my wiz setup. They have something better than what they have released/leaked.

cherrycyanide: sorry for the flicker :p

I should add I started with ID's 3.21 source, back ported the SDL (sound,soft render, controls), and then added the nanoGL render. Im hoping by using the 3.21 save games now work, they dont work in sdlquake2. I may convert the SDL soft render to libcastor to get some performance gains, plus add mmuhack, then overclock and see what nice fps I get. Quake 1 had a pretty nice boost after that, so why shouldnt quake 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
Wiz 3D hardware seems to be looking more promising by the day. Keep up the good work :) .
Yeah it doesnt seem bad, I think the big thing the wiz is missing that would help is some fp hw.

'Peter R' said:
Yeah. Oh, is the newer 3D module that GPH sent you compiled with software floating point instead of VFP now?

yeah i think that might be a reason for the faster performance.

Here are some benchmarks:
all with no sound
castor (sw) 533 Mhz w/o MMU 10.1 fps w/MMU 10.3
castor (sw) 600 Mhz w/o MMU 10.9 fps w/MMU 11.4
castor (sw) 700 Mhz w/o MMU N/A fps w/MMU 12.8
castor (sw) 800 Mhz w/o MMU N/A fps w/MMU 14.0

nanogl (gl) 533 Mhz w/o MMU 13.2 fps w/MMU 13.2
nanogl (gl) 700 Mhz w/o MMU N/A fps w/MMU 14.6
nanogl (gl) 800 Mhz w/o MMU N/A fps w/MMU 15.8

Back