Question

doreamon2000

Still Fresh
I am using gpengine and opensnes to play the games and although the emulation is pretty good I dont like the fact that the actual gaming screen is smaller than the gp32 screen.Does anyone know if it is possble to enlarge it so that it covers the whole screen?Like for example when using the Drmd emulator.Thanx in advance

I belive you can't in those two emulators

and doing that takes more power (I think) and they are kind of slow (opensnes atleast) tehy don't include this feature

I always turn on full screen stretching in fGB and fCOL!!!
But SNES, NES, GEN, etc don't really need stretching because they're big enough for me.

I am with you, I love the full screen in the other emulators and wish PC-ENGINE aka Turbo Grafx could good full screen. Maybe on F-day they will who knows. It would rock if SNES could as well but I wouldn't hold your breath....

Speaking og which I was very dispaointed that the new MSX emulator does not have the full screen option, which was the main feature I was looking for and doens't udnerstand why it was not implimented.

Scaling looks like crap though. The pixels are all distorted. PC Engine fills the screen vertically so if you stretch horizontally everything looks squished, that would be retarded just to get a few mm size increase. The only ones that make sense to scale are GB/GBC, Lynx and GameGear. The others are close enough.

I am using gpengine and opensnes to play the games and although the emulation is pretty good I dont like the fact that the actual gaming screen is smaller than the gp32 screen.Does anyone know if it is possble to enlarge it so that it covers the whole screen?Like for example when using the Drmd emulator.Thanx in advance

The reason for this is that the resolution of these systems are different. MegaDrive is 320 x 220 so it fills the 320 x 240 screen well. PC-Engine is around 256 X 240 so it has bars on the side. This will happen at 1:1 as the resolution of the original systems are different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats it, Megadrive emulation is perfect for the GP32 as the resolution is very similar, so is Atari 800, C64, Atari ST and I think PC Engine can do 320x200 too.
Stretching is great especially when you can double each pixel, i.e. 160x120 -> 320x240 would be the best case. Its not as easy with GB/GBC which has square display and the ration of 1.5 : 1.5 is used. Any other ratio than 2:1, 3:1 etc. will not only result in distorted graphics but will cause jerky full screen scrolling as well.

The solution would be either to use some kind of filtering (bilinear, eagle..) or intelligent stretching, but they are both too cpu-demanding to use on the GP32.

Back