Removing SD Cards from Pandora whilst On

manic23

Still Fresh
Just wondering, is it OK to remove SD cards from the Pandora when it is still powered on?, do I need to shut the unit down or do I just need to unmount the SD card before removing?

Thanks.

You can just insert or remove SD cards while the Pandora is on, however not when it is in Powersave mode!

This totally reminds me of the old Amiga Workbench, when you inserted a floppy and then the icon(s) would pop up on your Desktop :wub:

Just for completeness: of course removing the sdcard while it is accessed may cause data corruption.

Run a sync before or unmount it.

i myself am unable to unmount my SDcards. i don't know why it won't unmount. i been told that if your SD cards is in FAT format, it is ok to just remove them w/out unmounting. but if your sd cards are in EXT format, you HAVE to unmount

You don't HAVE to unmount, you just have to make sure the card has been synced. This could be as simple as just waiting a few seconds after your final write, or if you're really worried run "sync" from a terminal to force it to.

I'm running into a similar issue. I'm trying to backup an EXT2 partitioned card to a FAT32 card. But when I try to copy the /pandora/ directory from the EXT2 card to the FAT32 card, I get Permission Denied.

Do I need to sudo something on my cards in order to do this?

EDIT: I think I found the issue do to the ownership issues.

tried sudo chown user /media/Card_Name on the EXT2 card, but that isn't working on the FAT32 card

then tried

rsync -av /media/Lexar128GB/pandora /media/2LEXAR128GB

but still had some permissions issues but the process is still ongoing as there is a lot to copy.

OK, so can't copy my /pandora/menu or appdata directory... Is this because the system is using them on the SD card?

Last edited by a moderator:
FAT32 doesn't have ownership rules. The only permission error you'll get writing is a read only error, whereby one of the directories or files already on the card is marked readonly and you're trying to overwrite it. It could also be that the entire card is mounted readonly. This can happen if there's an error and the kernel can't resolve it: it just throws up its hands and says "fine, no writing until this error is resolved": fsck fixes it usually. If you can copy or create individual files on the FAT partition this probably isn't the case though.

Most likely what you're encountering is read permission errors on your EXT2: for some reason some file or directory on there is owned by root and is permission 700 or something.

Back