Replacing Dc/dc Converter

MaD

Still Fresh
gp2x_LTC3402.jpg

Hi,
About a week ago i've made a video that shows how to replace LTC3402 DC/DC convertor and posted it on local gp2x community. Now i thought why not to post it here? :)
It's a bit hard to solder/desolder this chip if you don't have some skills and tiny soldering iron, because components are placed very near to each other.
I wish good luck to anyone who will try to replace it by themselves.

If you still have a warranty - use it.

http://gbx.ru/files/Images/gp2x/gp2x_LTC3402.avi (15MB XVID)

I've always said the secret is to use liquid flux - stick the chip down, squirt flux on pins, and solder. Don't try to solder the individual legs, just stick it on and clean up afterwards.

To remove, you might find it easier to remove the chip after adding some 60/40 solder to the legs and cleaning up afterwards with wick - stops you ripping up any of the precious pads.

(and yes, always use a solder with added lead. I prefer about 40% - makes life a lot easier than attempting to use lead-free solder).

Did not have liquid flux when i was soldering... (
Adding solder was out of the question, my soldering iron sucks (20W, 220V, big tip), i would have ruined pcb that way.
It was even harder because webcam was always getting in a way.
I know how to solder properly, i'm currently studying electronics... but i don't have right equipment at home.
Anyway video was made to show how to replace LTC3402 at home with basic equipment, not for showing how good i can solder.

I'm done with excuses :)

Nicely done!

Always good to have a guide when trying to solder SMDs.

Thanks MaD.

Back