Repo maintainers: Plz always provide at least basic app infos!

porg

Dear repo app maintainers!

Please think of the repo as a self-contained site / information context!

It is bothering to the user, if one has to find out about an app all through one's own research or trial'n'error. Please provide that info in the first place! Thanks!

Users should be able to explore apps and gain at least the most necessary infos about an app from there without relying on externally gained knowledge such as forum rumors, general video game knowledge, etc.

Therefore, please provide:

1. at least basic infos about the app within the description text (game genre, principle, screenshots, videos, origin of the port if it is one, etc)
  2. and/or link(s) to external information resources, such as the game's original/porting home page either inline the description text or in the according URL field (website).
  3. inform about requirements such as data files within appdata, config files, necessary registration, external devices, etc.
  4. a short overview about keyboard functions or game rules is also welcome, if it is not contained within the game, or its documentation files.

Thanks!

I totally agree! Especially screenshots are welcome on ANY type of app, I am usually wary downloading an app without screenshots attached (not that those are necessary all the time or even give away much information, I guess it's a psychological thing in which I don't like to jump into the unknown...)

Though I am wondering, are you thinking about some specific PNDs? If so please name them (not to denounce the author, but one might not even be aware of the situation) :)

@porg - the thing is everyone is doing it as a hobby.

Be thankful they are doing it at all :)

@ Porg : You said it, but I must admit, I thought it. ;)

@ Green7 : I know where you're coming from, but I can only assume that people upload stuff to the Repo hoping as many other people as possible will download and use it. IMHO if an app has a screenshot and a clear description It'll probably get more downloads.

Asking more from people who are doing work in their own time, either out of love or interest, only puts them off in my experience.

Just an opinion :)

Asking more from people who are doing work in their own time, either out of love or interest, only puts them off in my experience.

Just an opinion :)

Asking more of end users (research) may put them off downloading your software, or (more likely) lack of available information will mean that software people that might otherwise download and use (and possibly donate funds back to to the maintainer) won't catch their interest in the first place because they have no idea what it is or what its supposed to do.

Me, I'm not too fussed about screen shots. I encourage their inclusion, but its not usually a deciding factor for me. A good description on the other hand is a must. Unless I happen to be looking for a specific program by name, I probably won't bother with it unless the description gives me a good idea what it is and what it does.

- Neelix

Asking more of end users (research) may put them off downloading your software, or (more likely) lack of available information will mean that software people that might otherwise download and use (and possibly donate funds back to to the maintainer) won't catch their interest in the first place because they have no idea what it is or what its supposed to do.
+1

Back