Repository For Games Designs

yaustar

UK GP32 & GP2X Owner
Website
Visit site
Given the push for more original games, couldn't we set up a repository for Games Design documents? Given that there are quite a few budding games designers out there but little means to produce the game. On the other end of the scale, there quite a few good programmers out there but no game design to work with (which probably explain the number of ports).

With a Game Design repository, a programmer can browse the repository and pick out a game design to work with and get into contact with the author and go from there.

That sounds like an excellent idea, and one that - if properly implemented - could make for a very successful designer/ programmer community. One thing that I've noticed while trying to get programmers for my own designs (well, both are Bork related) was that if none of my personal acquaintances had the time, then I was basically out of it. Making it this simple for designers to get their ideas known would be very welcome addition to the GP2X community.

Maybe it could be integrated into a regular forum structure, but instead of a regular posting window, you get a "post design doc" window which has specific areas that need to be filled out, and which also maybe has upload spots for concept art and other kinds of files, like more detailed design docs, etc.

It is a very interesting idea - but what about deserved credit? What's stopping someone from just glossing over it, grabbing an idea, and claiming it as their own?

I have a lot of game design ideas, but I wouldn't release these unless I could be sure they wouldn't be simply stolen.

Hmm. Maybe it can be done as an 'Abstract' that is on public display and then the author can authorise/give permission to members to view the full document?

yaustar posted on Jul 1 2006 at 04:44 PM said:
Hmm. Maybe it can be done as an 'Abstract' that is on public display and then the author can authorise/give permission to members to view the full document?

That's a good idea, that person would have to submit details so we know they are reading the document and may use it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something I've been thinking about:

How about a talent overview? we could have a thread where people post one post each detailing their "proficiencies", including samples of previous work like concept designs from artists, music files from musicians, little programs from coders, etc.

Game designers could also join in, but since a budding designer might not have any finished games under his/ her belt, the person could have a game design document that people who requested it could be sent for review. It wouldn't have to be a full game design either, I guess, but at least something that closely details one aspect of a unique design and how it would work. The request mechanism is so that people don't have to post their designs in public and then have them stolen by someone who can claim to never have seen it before.

You could also give each person a link to a wiki page which they can edit themselves with pictures and things. Or just do the thread.

And you'd have a sister thread which was for discussing the entrants and so on so that you don't clutter up the original thread with non-related posts. One post per person, strictly for showcasing yourself. Then the first post is updated regularly with the names of new people who post, so that you you don't have to go through the whole thing to find an artist you like. The listing on the first post links to the post the person made for him/herself.

How does this sound? It would make it easier to find someone to work with.

Maybe entrants could have a list of projects they're currently working on, also.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Of course this all depends on how much support there is for all of this ;).

Back