GP2X Request To All Devs

Flexinoodle

OK what is the best way about getting a standard music engine goin for the devs to adhere to.
My thinking is that if each emulator or homebrew game used the same engine then it would be very easy for music and soundtrack writers to conform.

Basically i am thinking something along the lines of a folder with sample based instruments and a MIDI file, Why would this be useful weeeeeeell, At the simplest level say somebody does a Genesis port right, I could then create a folder of samples from the Genesis and use these same samples to create multiple tracks for the menu system in the emulator or whatever, It would allow a large number of tracks with small memory and storage footprint because multiple MIDI files add up to pretty much nothing, Obviously this is good toofor all types of games but also opens up the idea of putting a front end GUI on the engine too as either a playback deviceor maybe even a small composition suite.

Whats the best way to start keeping in mind that this will only work with devs interest and then compliance to the standard ?

Nobody will ever go for it, and its pretty stupid anyway. A half-decent wavetable set is 12mb, and wavetable synth is slow. Also the Genesis cannot be "sampled" due to the way the sound generation chips work.

Of courseyou can sample a Genesis, You just record from the audio out no problem, I wasn't thinking a standard set of samples like a wavetable set like you said because that would be useless, I was thinking more along the lines of MODs on the Amiga so each track would have it's own samples, Setting a limit on the polyphony lets you pretty much decide how much CPU it will use, I dont know why you think devs wouldn't gofor it if it was inplace ??

Of courseyou can sample a Genesis, You just record from the audio out no problem, I wasn't thinking a standard set of samples like a wavetable set like you said because that would be useless, I was thinking more along the lines of MODs on the Amiga so each track would have it's own samples, Setting a limit on the polyphony lets you pretty much decide how much CPU it will use, I dont know why you think devs wouldn't gofor it if it was inplace ??

What he means is you can't build genesis sound from samples - the sound is generated by FM synthesis which has almost infinate possibilities.

Wavetable set for every game would make everything sound too samey anyway, celebrate individuality.

Last edited by a moderator:

What he means is you can't build genesis sound from samples - the sound is generated by FM synthesis which has almost infinate possibilities.

Wavetable set for every game would make everything sound too samey anyway, celebrate individuality.

That's the way Mods work, for the amiga. Just plug in your own wav files. and mix away. infinite possibilities. They were a little bigger because they had their wavetable embedded. Midis are small cause they refer to a wavetable, and I'm not sure if you can add your own wavs to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget it, I'm lookin at this from a musicians point of view and just not getting my point across at all so its just a waste of time, I did actually mention mods from the Amiga days but the format is too limiting, Doesn't sound like any devs would be nterested anyway so no worries.

More to point.. you can't add a new audio system to an emulator.. its emualting what is in the original machine, so your request made no sense :) As to standard audio systems for devs, there are a few (ie: MODs as you and others point out, and numerous others.) As to a platform-standard-across-apps .. well, why bother? - the devs make their own audio, and very few woudl ever change it :)

jeff

Yeah sorry Skeezix i thought that devs may want musicians to work on tunes for there homebrews, On the point about emulators needing to emulate a sound chip and my post not making sense eeeerm, I did state for menus and stuff in the emulator not in the emulated games, So i would say my statement made perfect sense ;)

I do understand what you mean re: The audio/music in the menus/config screens etc, Most of the Xbox emulators have audio/music in the menus. All i can say is, I turn it all off, As it gets very irritating after the first few times. Anyone who has the chance to try an Xbox emulator (especially the snes or megadrive), do so, And you`ll see what i mean, Grrrrrrr.

Trooper

Back