Roms The Ultimate Taboo

mark1980

Still Fresh
so i was thinking to myself what is all the fuss about with roms, with some companys refussing to rerelease old games some companys going bust some games old and new are never going to see the light of day again. how are we going to look back on games of the past which set things going for the games of now and the future, my kids love playing on my caanoo playing games such as mario,s sonic,s for sms/nes and other old systems like c64 etc. they like the ease of 2 button controls not like the ps3/xbox 360 with all ther 12.3.8 buttons,all mario games need was run and jump (sonice just needed jump) and the d-pad. I no asking for roms here is a big no no and i'm not going to ask for them either but from what i know you can only have a rom of a game you already own say a sonic mega drive cartridge as a backup then you can play it on your caanoo.but with the ease you can get rom from websites could the owner of these games (say nintendo) not make there roms avalible to download off there own website for a small fee per game like $1.if other rom website (naughty ones) can give thse games away for free and do it on a shoe sting im shore nintendo can,and at the same time gauge the market on the type of games people want to play and get money back in to the industry i love rather than some guy pocket on ebay are a retro game stores second hand section which gives nothing back to the industry.if im lead to beleave what ive seen on some forums that some guy says ive got like 500+ games on my caanoo and ive currantly been just been playing air raid (atari 2600) worth like $2000+ on my caanoo if he had the money he would be playing it on a real atari 2600 are have it in a safe,so im lead to beleave he has a mix of tapes,cd's,cartridges just lying round his house so he can play them on his caanoo, just incase the cops kick his door in to ask has he got the orginal games,i don't think so. and its not like these orginal games and the machines we us to play them on are going to last forever parts braking,scratch's,tapes getting mangled and so on,where losing little bits of histroy every day with these games/consoles and before long these will be extinct, and we'll have no way to look back at or child hood gaming memorys.if roms are so bad how come the devices that can play them are aloud like the caanoo ?,does the caanoo get away with it because it can play movies,music and show pic so its not just a rom playind device, it wownt be long till nitendo release a hand held like the caanoo selling its own back catalog of games because people are getting sick "7d" consoles and waving there arms round to control it.and im not not pround to say i have played a game are 2 on my caanoo with out owning the orginal and i wownt be the last i wound like to think anyone who replys to this would be man/gal enough to do the same .so next time a topic comes up what are you playing on your caanoo right now, should i beleave when some one say mame arcade street fighter 2 that they have a arcade cabnet in ther house ?

ps dont ban me admins/mods for this rant

While there is other communities around the interweb that will probably help you getting illegal roms.
Here we wont. The simple reason is that forums have been put to a rest for these type of activities. We want to keep this community alive.
While gp32x.de is a user community, it's also a devel community that nobody would want to split because gp32x have to close.
Hosted in Germany, these boards have to comply to the german right which say that linking to a rom is illegal.

Even stupids, laws have to be followed, that's how things works.
Also these laws depends on country. In some even dumping your rom yourself from you own cartridge is illegal, in some even selling or owning a dumping device is illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paragraph's?

Roms you haven't ripped yourself are illegal in the vast majority of countries. Every countries has their own specific rules with what you can and can't do with backups too.

You will never see nintendo selling their roms for 1$, as long as they can sell the games for 10$ on virtual console or any other download portal, they will develop in the future. It´s just easy money for them, without any effort and as I look into my magic crystal ball, I can see, all games I purchased for my WII via virtual console are incompatible with the WII U, so I´ll have to pay one more time for them.

Was that one big ass sentence or what?? :D

Anyway, I have no moral qualms downloading roms. I've spent a lot on video games in my life, and if these greedy companies don't want to make it easy or cheap to own games that are over 20 years old, then screw them. The Virtual Console is such a rip off. It should be a dollar a game, or at least bundle prices or passes (say you pay $10 a month and can download as many games as you want). I would have no problem paying for ROMs if they were very cheap and I imagine neither would a lot of people. Until then, there is the world of the internet!

Akabei said:
You will never see nintendo selling their roms for 1$, as long as they can sell the games for 10$ on virtual console or any other download portal, they will develop in the future. It´s just easy money for them, without any effort and as I look into my magic crystal ball, I can see, all games I purchased for my WII via virtual console are incompatible with the WII U, so I´ll have to pay one more time for them.

You know, some games are still worth those 10 bucks, I'd gladly put down 10$ for certain classics, but they do not offer me the possibility to buy them in a format I can use (let alone on a platform I own). Their loss I guess.

I'm very proud of you darklight1138 being the first to admiting (and me) you've played games/roms you don't own . I don't beleave for one minute that there is one person or someone they no on the forum who hasnt played a game they legaly own in one way or another be it a tape for c64 from the 80's a ps1 cdr disk of the 90's or a ds flash cart of the 00's.
this topic was realy meant to open up a can of worms,for people to let out there angst about gaming,roms legality and companys greed who own them when it comes to there back catalog of games and the prices they charge (if they release them) for compaltion disk or virtual console (VC) downloads. One good thing i have notest that some games that where hard to come bye have gone done in price on ebay because of th VC like the orginal castlevania sotn ps1 disk not by much, so people who missed out when it first came out don't have to pay £50-£100 to someone on ebay but £5 to the devoloper who made it who hopefuly might make another game like it old skool style like capcom did with megaman 10 on nintendo's VC ,these great game should'nt be missed out on because of PURE GREED

ps sorry about spelling,paragaphs etc

People and businesses have a right to make money from their creative works and intellectual property. Unless the copyright expired or the property owners declared it public domain, it is legally theirs to sell and not legally yours to take unless you pay for it. That is a fair system that allows for the creators and property owners to be paid for their ideas and work.

That said, too many of these property owners are greedy. They see old run-down property as being worth far more than it is. IMO $10 for any VC, PSN, or Live game is ridiculous. Game ROMs in general should be priced based on their age:

- $1 if older than 20 years.
- $2 if 10-20 years old.
- More recent games, remakes, and "remasters" for HD are obviously going to cost more.

This is a reasonable pricing model, and if it were adopted for ROMs the property owners would see additional revenue from many retrogamers. It's fair pricing and in a platform independent format.

mark-s said:
I'm very proud of you darklight1138 being the first to admiting (and me) you've played games/roms you don't own . I don't beleave for one minute that there is one person or someone they no on the forum who hasnt played a game they legaly own in one way or another be it a tape for c64 from the 80's a ps1 cdr disk of the 90's or a ds flash cart of the 00's.

My Pandora has complete sets of SNES, NES, Spectrum, PC-Engine (non-CD), about 20 PSX games, over a hundred N64, >200 Amiga, complete Gameboy, 2600... And I own none of those games (and nor have I ever owned more than a few of them except for Amiga and Speccy, where my collections were extensive).

What's anyone gonna do about it?

D.

well said dunny .i bet there people with more roms than you who don't own the game . thats geussing you don't own close to 10.000 games,have you played them all ?, are is it just a case of bragging rights to your friends (i no it is for me) saying you own every game released in the 80's and 90's on a memmory card and device that can fit in the parm of your hands

ps anyones else want to admit to there crimes ?

Back