Round Em Up Officially Anounced

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
October 10th - BETA testing has started, see post #13 further down the page for more info.

Today I finally got around to officially announcing my next new game Round Em Up which is expected to be released by the end of 2007.

The aim of the game is to guide your sheep into their sheep pen. The sheep move around the play area and you must add or remove bushes to block their path and guide them into the sheep pen either within a specific time or a limited number of bushes.

There are a few obstacles such as rain clouds which make bushes grow, a rival farmers tractor which cuts down bushes and some special items such as a trap which holds your sheep until you disable them.

The game will feature pre designed levels which can be played as part of the main storyline but if you get bored of them you can create and share your own designs with the integrated level designer which allows you to create the map and make all the necessary settings. There will also be a random level generator for infinite gameplay.

The game can be played with either the GP2X joystick/button controls or for the most fun by using a BOB/Cradle and a mouse.

There are several screen shots of the game and the level designer on my software homepage at http://www.emuboards.com/guyfawkes/roundemup.htm, there is also a video from a few months ago (old build of the game) which shows the game in action at http://207.44.176.77/~admin28/RoundEmUp2.wmv

See post #13 for further info.

looks cute and fun! Thanks a lot for another fine release...

That looks very nice Guyfawkes. Keep us posted with updates along the way :)

Hi looks nice, I would be happy to beta test also enjoyrd doing it for the gbax comp
good work

If you need any more Beta testers, I'm in.

Thanks for the nice comments, it helps a lot to get me motivated for coding :) I will PM the people that are interested in beta testing probably late august once I have done some more work on the game and getting everything sorted out. then I can start work on new ideas, bug finding etc.

I finally got some time to code so I have been working on the game over the weekend to get it ready for beta testing. Here is its current status:

The game engine as it was originally planned is now complete but I still feel it needs more variety with the special items and obstacles to make the game more enjoyable. This is one area I want feedback from the beta testers on what could be added or improved.

Two of the three game play modes are completed, Story mode is not started as it needs levels to be designed (will be the last thing to be done), the Random Level Generator and Play Custom Level are both complete, so you can kinda fully play the game with these two options.

Built in level designer is complete. All you need to design your own levels is now supported :) I wanted to get this done asap so people can create their own test levels to improve beta testing variety.

The Menus for game are mostly complete, some options are not accessible as they haven't been written or needed yet. Most of this will be done last once the game is finalised.

All the game is now fully mouse supported (as well as gp2x joypad of course). Hopefully this means it should be compatible with the touch screen on the new gp2x which is a bit of good timing and a bonus ;) The game does play a bit better with the mouse but its still good with the joypad, the joypad stuff needs some tweaking to improve the ease of use (quick select etc). I hope to add support for the F-200 touchscreen as well as the game is perfect for it.

Music and SFX are incomplete, everything is mostly in place but will probably be left towards the end of dev when everything is finalised.

I think that's about everything. Beta testing should start next week if I get a chance to finish a few more things. I don't think there are many bugs in the game but I am usually wrong ;) I am mainly looking for suggestions on improving the game so if you are interested in just this and not bug finding that is fine. I would release a public beta for feedback but I am keeping it private in case there is another coding competition.

If you are still interested reply here and I will PM you next week with further details.

Testing has now started at long last :)

I will PM jbrodack, mac_d4di and Nova shortly with more information. A couple more testers would be great so if you are interested please read the post just above for the full details and then PM me if you are still interested.

Thanks!

Back