Rrootage For Gp2X V1.0

I just wanted to thank you for this. Its amazing the things that have been ported to the gp2x considering its limited hardware, especially compared to whats out today. I had been wanting this for a while and am so glad to have this on my gp2x.

Brillant release, Senor Quack! :) I love Kenta Cho's shooter...

notaz said:
Tried it out, running smooth. Would love a couple of additional effects though, looks like there is some room left.

+1

BTW: I can overclock my F200 to 250MHz, the same as e.g. with PicoDrive...

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it out and it runs great but looks kinda poor. I mean I really appreciate the effort to get it on the gp2x in the first place but compared to the original it just doesn't look right. Still, it plays great and sounds great as I love the music on it. Its smooth even at say 215 so I think you could squeeze out some more effects. I remember something similar with the Egoboo port where effect had to be cut. Anyway great job getting it on the gp2x running well in the first place. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing your port or am unappreciative just giving an opinion on how it looks. You've done some amazing ports so thanks for another one.

Nice surprise SQ. I'm impressed by how much gpu940 can draw every frame.

All of Kenta Cho's shooters except Noiz2sa overwhelm me, I always liked Noiz best because it's more toned down. It's hard enough to dodge 1000 bullets, distracting backgrounds don't really help :)

Thanks for this. Have a blast on your hike by the way :)

This is great, I always wanted rRootage on gp2x years ago. And now it's here.
Glad to see some GP2X news on the front page for a change, it's been kind of dead lately since the Wiz and Dingoo arrived..

Great work, I'll try it right away. :)

EDIT: It looks and work great. Running at 240 MHz and no problem at all.
Here's a request though: It's hard to notice where the edge of the playfield is and where the scorefield starts, because the background is black in both places. Would it be possible to add a solid color (for example something like the blue color in the PC screenshot on page 1) or would that slow everything down?
EDIT: Oh right, the color is different depending on the mode. But if you could make it so that the scoreboard is always a different color than the actual playing field that would be great.

Burbruee said:
Here's a request though: It's hard to notice where the edge of the playfield is and where the scorefield starts, because the background is black in both places. Would it be possible to add a solid color (for example something like the blue color in the PC screenshot on page 1) or would that slow everything down?
+1 :)

EDIT @ Senor Quack: any news about the saving scores and progression bug ? And did you get in touch with Rixed to work on gpu940 ?

Bye, Magic Sam

jmetal88 said:
Looks cool. Was Noiz2Sa on the GP32 inspired by the PC version of this, or some other game? They look very similar.
Both games by the same developer. (Kenta Cho)
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/

Magic Sam said:
Burbruee said:
+1 :)

EDIT @ Senor Quack: any news about the saving scores and progression bug ? And did you get in touch with Rixed to work on gpu940 ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Heya Magic Sam thanks for your kind donation :)

I have been very busy with real-life stuff.. Moving and preparing for my big hike. I will only have about 6 more days I can program before I head out into the woods for a half a year or so. I might or might not have time to fix the saved progression bug. I will probably have a quick go at porting this to the Wiz and that might give me the chance to fix it and release an updated gp2x version. We'll see!

As for contacting Rixed about the line-drawing bug: No, I haven't contacted him yet, I need to clean up the source code and release it so he can take a look. Been too busy fixing our cars up and packing and such. I was pretty surprised I had enough time to complete the initial version of rRootage.. I was getting pretty discouraged and desperate but in the end I was able to get something working.

Burbruee said:
This is great, I always wanted rRootage on gp2x years ago. And now it's here.
Glad to see some GP2X news on the front page for a change, it's been kind of dead lately since the Wiz and Dingoo arrived..

Great work, I'll try it right away. :)

EDIT: It looks and work great. Running at 240 MHz and no problem at all.
EDIT: Oh right, the color is different depending on the mode. But if you could make it so that the scoreboard is always a different color than the actual playing field that would be great.

I am surprised to hear this is a problem for people.. I disabled drawing the scoreboard background because I saw it as totally unnecessary and so a good way to save a few CPU cycles. I never have a problem playing without it (I can complete levels up to 7 or so. After 7A it gets a bit to hectic for me to succeed very often). I can add them back in in the next version I guess.

Senor Quack said:
Heya Magic Sam thanks for your kind donation :)

I have been very busy with real-life stuff.. Moving and preparing for my big hike. I will only have about 6 more days I can program before I head out into the woods for a half a year or so. I might or might not have time to fix the saved progression bug. I will probably have a quick go at porting this to the Wiz and that might give me the chance to fix it and release an updated gp2x version. We'll see!

As for contacting Rixed about the line-drawing bug: No, I haven't contacted him yet, I need to clean up the source code and release it so he can take a look. Been too busy fixing our cars up and packing and such. I was pretty surprised I had enough time to complete the initial version of rRootage.. I was getting pretty discouraged and desperate but in the end I was able to get something working.

Its amazing the amount of great projects you get done with such a busy life. Have fun on your hike.

Back