Samsung's Eye Scroll

Fzero

Advanced Member
see this tech, rumoured might be on the S4?

clever stuff

m.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s4-to-add-eye-scroll-camera-sensor-technology

Sounds really annoying - what if I don't read the page top-to-bottom? - what if I glance at my watch while using my smartphone? - What if I move my phone up? Does that trigger a scroll? What if two people are reading the page at once? What if I'm wearing glasses? What if I'd rather not dedicate a CPU core to unnecessary image processing?

IMHO the tech industry needs to stop coming up with new ways to do old tricks.

High-precision phablet touchscreens are worth having, but yet another reinvention of the pageup/down button?! :huh:

It'll likely be just like the current Samsung S3 camera does to run its Smart Stay feature. Wont be actually filming you.

I also wonder just how well it would work though, like if you glance away ... I'd hope they build in detection for that, as that type of movement would be quicker, so it would detect that you are not simply reading and that it shouldn't scroll.

Otherwise it could get very annoying very quick.

I guess it would be very precise, recognising when your eyes are moving that direction in a smooth/maintained motion ...and only scroll then.

No real hardship doing the old swipe up/down with the finger, but if it worked well, I would certainly give up that gesture and allow the page to move as I need it to.

Have to see if it does get included and give it a try, be nice [if works well] for tablets though, which can potentially get a bit weighty when holding for long, could go hands free.

Might even get to be like the XBOX Kinect, though without the hand, so you can just focus your eyes on the 'back' browser button for a second or two and it will detect this as a command to navigate back a page.

With pinpoint precision could control all on screen UI with your eye I guess... like you do with Kinect using your hand

I'd like to see some _really_ impressive innovation some day...

I'd like to see something like fart biometrics. You put the phone against your back, let a little vent going outside, then be able to make a phone call.

just focus your eyes on the 'back' browser button for a second or two and it will detect this as a command to navigate back a page.
A couple of seconds is far too long. I have forward/back mapped to mouse buttons so that the entire operation takes 25centiseconds (or so I timed it)

How would wiggling my eyes at a webcam be an improvement?

What if you had a lazy eye or you were cockeyed?

falk.jpg

yeah I guess that a couple seconds is too long ... the time it takes to nav back or hover over a button on Kinect is too long for me personally, but guess it has to be a least a second as to not keep entering commands in error when just passing over UI.

I also use mouse buttons to nav back/fwd, and is quick as you'd like.

....I'm just speculating at how this type of tech 'might' come to be used in the future.

It might flop and not go anywhere, I guess it depends on how smart it is. I can only imagine it will work something like how Kinect does.

Eye detection might not offer any improvement over mouse control, but it might, depending how it pans out.

Certainly for certain users who might have disability and can't use hands very well, this could be good.

Fighter pilots, who already use eye detection to control their missiles [in the Harrier Jumpjet planes I think]

Truth is, I dunno ... just read about it in that article, got a bit wowed by it but will have to wait to see it myself, it might be terrible, might work pretty nice

Columbo would probably not find this too useful, agreed.

Back