SD card slot broken

beatgeek

Still Fresh
So, this probably will end up as an RMA, but I figured I'd ask here in case somebody works miracles. So I finally received a replacement Pandora (CC board in a silver case) from Craig's shop maybe a couple months ago, and whenever I put an SD card in the 2nd slot, the pandora doesn't recognize or 'see' it. I have tried different SD cards from different manufacturers, and I have used the Panasonic SD formatter. The first slot works fine. Any other ideas for me to try, or should I just fill out another (sigh) RMA form?

The sd card could be fractionally at an angle in the slot.try to correct it.also push the sdcard in quiet firmly to begin with.

This has happened to me on an old cc unit i once had.

Have you tried to have a look into the slot - maybe somethings is blocking the card from reaching the electrical contacts (or maybe one of the pins is bend or broken) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see all the electrical contacts down in the slot, and they look fine. The card inserts quite firmly, and not at any strange angles. I considered taping some paper to the top of the card to see if it would lock in even tighter, but I decided that may be a bad idea - I don't want things getting stuck in there.

I have issues with both SD slots. Cards are recognized after a reboot.

I don't get a line in dmesg or "sudo fdisk -l" after I insert a card. I'm talking about my GC unit. All these cards work fine in my Ghz unit.

Are you aware that GHz units are made by GC (Global Components)?
CC units are the very first one, also called "classic" pandora.
So either you own a CC (Circuit Co) "classic" Pandora, or a GC Rebirth Pandora (and of course your GC GHz Pandora).  ;)

EDIT : if you have troubles with your SD slot(s), maybe you should ask for a RMA… Or try the "magic firmware reflash" I've heard it can fix some strange behaviours (can't tell if it will, in your case)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see all the electrical contacts down in the slot, and they look fine. The card inserts quite firmly, and not at any strange angles. I considered taping some paper to the top of the card to see if it would lock in even tighter, but I decided that may be a bad idea - I don't want things getting stuck in there.
If you restart your Pandora with a SD-Card in the second slot, do you recognize any (second SD-Slot) status led activity ?

If you restart your Pandora with a SD-Card in the second slot, do you recognize any (second SD-Slot) status led activity ?
When I insert a card in that slot, the LED lights up for only a moment. So it must detect that something has been inserted, but can't read it.

As for SD mass storage mode, I thought I had the correct USB cable, but apparently not, as it appears that it doesn't work even with the first SD slot (and doesn't charge the pandora either). The cable plugs in just fine... ::shrugs::

I thought I had the correct USB cable
Not all cables that are available have all pins connected to both ends, regardless wether the plug fits or not - try to get another one.

After inserting a card in the second slot, do you see any change in the output of

dmesg or "sudo fdisk -l"
?

How's LED activity if you put the card you use in the left slot (probably filled with some pnds) in the right slot while leaving the left slot empty before a boot up ?

Have you tried the "magic reflash" ?

Ah, here's something interesting:

dmesg reports this about mmc1 (2nd SD slot):

host doesn't support card's voltages

error -22 whilst initialising MMC card

it also says this about mmc2 (i thought it was just 1 and 0?), but it reports this regardless of whether there's a card in slot 2 or not:

card claims to support voltages below the defined range. These will be ignored.

new SDIO card at address 0001

Mass storage mode doesn't work. I have the correct cable now, but in order to enable mass storage, you have to select which card, and the pandora doesn't think the card exists, so it can't enable mass storage.

There is no change in the output of fdisk -l. (It lists mmcblk0p1 if it's inserted in the first slot, but never lists anything else)

How's LED activity if you put the card you use in the left slot (probably filled with some pnds) in the right slot while leaving the left slot empty before a boot up ?
It blinks once for just a moment.

My pandora also seems to have trouble with staying  in low-power mode (it keeps turning itself back on), so I'm going to do a full firmware reflash and see what happens.

Firmware reflash makes no difference.

I think there's an electrical problem in that slot.

Back