Sd Card Troubles

Tobriand

Website
Visit site
Right, I've got a 128mb SD card, which, due to some idiot fault on my camera, seems to have become partitioned into one 120mb chunk and one 8mb chunk. And of course, windows seems only to be able to see the former. That'd be ok-ish fine if I was certain the two were actually distinct partitions as opposed to overlapping ones. As it is, though, seeing as after a format on the camera, the original contents of the card are still present, I'm not quite sure *what*'s happened (guessing the 8-120mb division).

However, whether or not I can safely write to the card at all (I haven't tried), I do have the slight problem of being completely unable to extract the pictures from it, the camera's drivers refusing to be recognised, and the company that made it being a weird ickule Chinese manufacturer who don't even host old drivers on their site (UAT). Thus, has anyone got any idea how I might extract the 32 or so photos on the camera-visible bit of the card?

If Windows is giving you grief, try Linux. No, it's not as stupid as it sounds - you can get Linux on a CD with no installation required whatsoever. I think they are called "Live CD" or something like that.

1.Don´t you have a cardreader or what?
2.And are you sure that memorycards can be PARTITIONED at all?
3.Furthermore, my 128MB SMC´s are also only 120MB big according to windows, i think its because of the 1MB = 1024KB thing...

Hmm... I think I've found out what's going on (which is a shame, because it implies I'm not going to be able to get access to the pictures no way no how :( ) - namely that, finding my SD card to be formatted as Fat32 (which it for some reason didn't like) the camera decided "screw this, lets use the internal memory we aren't supposed to have instead" and did so, confusing the smeg out of me in the process. Now I've no idea, of course, how to retrieve the photos from the internal memory to my card, but at least I know what's going on (tested simply by seeing what was listed as viewable with no SD card plugged in).

Question still stands though, although now about a different issue... anyone know of any camera drivers that work with a UAT digicam in 2k?

not offhand, but you could try a Linux live cd and see if the camera is visible from that, if the images are not recoverable then try hard resetting the thing, normaly you can find a little reset dimple or hole, stick a bit of wire in that and hold it down for ten seconds or so and it should reset to "out of the box" condition.

Mentor.

Back