SDK?

Re: SDK on the Open Pandora?

wynodir said:
I really look forward getting the Open Pandora. Will it be possible to develop directly on it or do I need to compile the programs on another platform? It would be great if I could have gcc and develop software on the train or the bus directly on the Pandora.

Theoretically, sure, it's possible. I'm sure someone will compile the ARM toolchain for the Pandora, allowing you to do this. Whether you'd actually want to subject yourself to coding on the Pandora's very cramped keyboard, that's another matter altogether.

Vorporeal said:
wynodir said:
I really look forward getting the Open Pandora. Will it be possible to develop directly on it or do I need to compile the programs on another platform? It would be great if I could have gcc and develop software on the train or the bus directly on the Pandora.

Theoretically, sure, it's possible. I'm sure someone will compile the ARM toolchain for the Pandora, allowing you to do this. Whether you'd actually want to subject yourself to coding on the Pandora's very cramped keyboard, that's another matter altogether.

USB host port = real keyboard for serious typing. Right?

Grench said:
USB host port = real keyboard for serious typing. Right?

Heh... Yeah... However, one should realize that you'll have Bluetooth... Why lug around a big keyboard when an iGo or a Palm BT keyboard will work nicely enough for that sort of thing? ;)

I hope there will be an onboard SDK. I like to write programs for my calculator when I'm bored, and this is a big step up.

Ah, you're the new guy from the last thread.
Yes, Pandora will have a C++ compiler and a text editor onboard. [you might have to download the compiler, but that should be easy]

So, unlike graphing calculators, the Pandora will be able to develop and run its own C++ code entirely without a computer.
Although doing it on such a small screen might be difficult, it will be entirely possible.

lardman said:
Would be good to have the necessary OE files, the device conf file and distro conf file and any other patches to the main metadata. Or are these already available somewhere?

The device conf file is already available in OE as omap3-pandora.conf and the distro used is just angstrom, what's still (AFAIK) missing is the image bb that specifies what is included in the standard installation.

Also, I don't think that 3d acceleration is currently available in OE, and I'm not even sure that it will be in the near future.

Back