Sharp X68000

plounted

an emulator for Sharp X68000.
so that we can play yet another version of castlevania on the gp2x.
among other things.

plounted posted on Sep 19 2006 at 10:01 PM said:
an emulator for Sharp X68000.
so that we can play yet another version of castlevania on the gp2x.
among other things.
I'd looked into this but couldn't find any source for X68000 emulators. Let me know if anyone finds anything.

There's some nice Japanese emus around for the PC running Windows and another for the Mac but I can't find much else. Certainly no source code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a page that describes many of the technical abilities of the X68000 line. From what I can tell, the machine is mostly comparable to the Amiga and Atari ST computers, so it SHOULD be possible to get the X68000 (at least the earlier versions anyways) going nicely on the GP2X... the main problem is that there seem to be a number of custom chips which would have to be emulated. Doing this one from scratch would be quite a task, so I think the best bet would be to port an existing emulator. Does anyone have any experience with the ones already mentioned? I've heard good things about this system, but I never actually tried out anything.

--Zero

the possibility of this was looked into last year, but the x68000 proved to be a little too spec heavy. All in all, the slowest possible variation of the x68000 system is more powerful than an amiga a500, and this would not be able to play some of the newer games such as Dracula XX. Apart from owning the actual system, the best bet to play these now is via the emu's available on the PC or xbox.

What's the compatibility situation with the X68K? If you got a 68030 machine, would it play everything, or were there weird compatibility issues like the ones that plagued the Amiga? Were there a lot of games that required the higer spec machines, or were most games made with the base 68000 in mind?

--Zero

X6800 has a lot of perfect conversions Capcom arcade games, as well as Konami Gradius games, an excelent Castlevania game, and a lot more.

It shouldn't be needed a lot of CPU power because i remember very good emulators a lot of years ago (in the time of pentium 100 machines).

The main problem could be the screen resolution, it has really big screen resolution, but only used in some rare games.

Maybe someone could try to port an X68000 emulator?

I think it would be worth.

PD: Don't try XM6 because it is good but really slower than any other emulator, it didn't run well in a Pentium 2...

Back