SheevaPlug versus OpenPandora as (SILENT) Server?

Your Preference as a File Server between:

• SheevaPlug

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • OpenPandora

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

patrick295767

Hello,

Since years, I own a Sheeva as a file server. I love it since it is very very silent. A wonderful machine.

As a server (another one), I am thinking that maybe the OpenPandora could be as well suited. The advantage is that the OpenPandora has a little screen. 

The pricing is the same. 

The Operating System would be Debian. Installing Debian is not a problem on those machines at all, and it works perfectly. 

What would you choose as a Debian File Server (the device with attached a HUB and a Harddisk of 3-4 GB)?

Best regards,

Happy Christmas Time!

Pat

marvell_sheevaplug_computer2.jpg

pandora-lid-open.jpg

If the device is supposed to be stationary, then sheevaplug all the way, since its got built-in ethernet and a more convenient form for stationary, out-of-the-way use.

Pandoras are great for portable computing, and are obviously far better in the way of UI hardware - but then a server, almost by definition, operates over a network.

What binky said.

Alternatively a RaspberryPi.

The Pandora would need a constant powersupply what would not be good for the battery in the long run and it is a lot more expensive to be used as a server.

There are different sheevaplugs these days. I have one of the first generation ones, and although they showed promise, it had a decent learning curve to uBoot for me.

I thought the sheeva would be much cheaper - mine was $99aud. OP is many times more.

There are dozens of single board computers that would make excellent headless (or not) file servers for way cheaper than either of these.

I'd recommend a Pi or Panda/Beagleboard or something similar.

Back