Simulating lower resolution possible?

john4p

Is there a way to run this Gingerbread Android at a lower resolution than our screen's native 800x480 pixels (while still drawing fullscreen)?

Like e.g. at 600x360 or 500x300 pixels (scaled to fullscreen)?

The reason I'm asking is because the gfx in bwin poker app (probably other apps and games are affected, too) look tiny at 800x480 pixels:

25gxiir.jpg

On an android device with smaller resolution it should look like this:

rr2ij4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to run this Gingerbread Android at a lower resolution than our screen's native 800x480 pixels (while still drawing fullscreen)?

Like e.g. at 600x360 or 500x300 pixels (scaled to fullscreen)?

The reason I'm asking is because the gfx in bwin poker app (probably other apps and games are affected, too) look tiny at 800x480 pixels:

25gxiir.jpg

On an android device with smaller resolution it should look like this:

rr2ij4.jpg

I dont have a pandora yet, but what about emulators?

Is it possible on the pandora to autmatically let the pandora switch to a lower resolution that matches the older hardware?

Personally i like the idea about being able to tell the pandora what resolution to handle for each PND you have.

If they use sdl you can easily scale the gfx how you want with notaz' sdl. But I don't think our android pnd uses sdl...

This seems just to be a particulary bad coded app, that doesn't scale well. You should tell them directly and ask for a fix for this. This is not something Pandora should need to do, it should be handled by Android/the app itself.

build.prop has this setting, you can play around with the number till you find one that matches the height/width of the screen

try this setting it's reccommended for 800x480 screens

ro.sf.lcd_density=160

EDIT: the default is 240 in case you want to go back

http://wccftech.com/...ase-screen-dpi/

Thank you - I'm sure that'll solve the problem!

Unfortunately I don't have permission to overwrite /system/build.prop.

I used the Terminal Emulator and tried to edit with vi. Turns out notaz has the line disabled in the file.

Anyway, saving the file doesn't work.

And for chmod 666 build.prop (in Terminal Emulator) I don't have permission either.

Do you know how I can overwrite the file?

edit: Okay - "su" works fine (tried sudo first which was unknown). Let's see...

This seems just to be a particulary bad coded app, that doesn't scale well. You should tell them directly and ask for a fix for this. This is not something Pandora should need to do, it should be handled by Android/the app itself.
Thought about that, too, but who knows if and when they would react to my request...

Seems like our dpi is set to high anyway: the fonts in Terminal Emulator are extremely tiny.

Damn - has no effect. Restarted with "160" as value but nothing about the resolution changed.

hmm... 180 maybe? I've played around with it before and it should change the size of the icons on your home launcher etc

Ah, the lower the value the higher the resolution smaller the gfx, icons and fonts - with "240" everything is now large and well readable.

With 240 bwin poker app is perfect on Pandora!

Thanks, Android! :)

Back