Smc Question

satanas

Still Fresh
Is there anyway to tell how much room is left on the SMC?
I'd like to know so I'll know what the maximum size for a movie can be.

the more you pay, the better quality and faster data transfer in general. I got mine for £10 (PC world) and it works great.

I got mine for $25, its a SanDisk USB 2.0 and has about 40x the data trasfer speed of the normal USB 1.1 reader/writers. (USB 1.1 has a data transfer speed of 12Mbps whereas 2.0 has a transfer speed of 480Mbps, BIG difference)

Its a life saver when coping alot of Doom wads to your SMC or backing up everything on your SMC.

I can live with a couple of lost minutes ;) but 480mbps second? That is an entire smc :blink:

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 14 2004 at 02:32 AM said:
I got mine for $25, its a SanDisk USB 2.0 and has about 40x the data trasfer speed of the normal USB 1.1 reader/writers. (USB 1.1 has a data transfer speed of 12Mbps whereas 2.0 has a transfer speed of 480Mbps, BIG difference)

Its a life saver when coping alot of Doom wads to your SMC or backing up everything on your SMC.
so within 1 second u can transfer a 120 odd MB Film to your GP32 ??????

Last edited by a moderator:
Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 14 2004 at 02:32 AM said:
[clickety]
(USB 1.1 has a data transfer speed of 12Mbps whereas 2.0 has a transfer speed of 480Mbps, BIG difference)
[/clickety]
Hey is that like the 'maximum possible speed spec' for usb2.0 or do you come to that figure from personal experience with the reader?

I'm just curious, since I've been toying with the idea of buying an SMC/CF reader and have usb2.0 ports on this box, however 480Mbps strikes me as insanely fast, thats like an entire 128meg card in 2 and a bit seconds, hell that takes like half an hour on the pclink :blink:

Steve-O posted on Apr 14 2004 at 09:11 AM said:
480Mb/s = 60MB/s, minus the USB2 transfer overheads... it also assumes that you can write to the smart media card as fast as the interface is sending data; which is not the case.

:(

dazmanultra posted on Apr 14 2004 at 06:31 PM said:
Steve-O posted on Apr 14 2004 at 09:11 AM said:
480Mb/s = 60MB/s, minus the USB2 transfer overheads... it also assumes that you can write to the smart media card as fast as the interface is sending data; which is not the case.

:(
Of course. And it also depends on your SMC, the read/write speeds vary depending on brand and model. But with the USB 2.0 readers/writers you can get the absolutly fastest read/write speed possible for your SMC. (Many many times faster than PCLink)

You can get a SMC reader free in the Beta Test Zone!!! GPDrive!!!! :D IMHO it is better than SMC readers, since I don't have to take SMC in and out all the time, and I am scared about wearing down the contacts on the GP32 :unsure: Anyways, GPDrive is about as fast as my USB2.0 SMC reader was on my old USB1.1 computer, so it is easy to wait :)

Which part of the SMC is actually read off of? I'm guessing the gold, cause I want to put the sticker that came with it on to it. I got a free card reader too, it's built into my printer/scanner :D

Back