Smc->xd Adapter For Gp32?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
With all the insanity in the other fourm, it made me nostalgic for my old GP32. (Sadly I sold my FLU to someone here, and got a BLU, but now I miss my FLU :) Anyway, I stopped firing up the BLU years ago because it was an SMC killer .. I had I think 3 cards, and it killed them all after only a few uses each, so that was that. (With SMC cards being $60-$150 nowadays, its not worth it :)

Vimacs pointed this out in IRC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820163403

Anyone tried such a thing? (To use a non-SMC card in the SMC slot.) Giben the crappy firmware in the gp32, I'd doubt it woudl work (Especially being that XDs are generally >128MB :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi skeezix,

I have one of those, I`ve had it for over a year, And bought it specifically for use with my GP32. I also bought six 128MB xd cards at the same time.

They work flawlessly, Apart from the adaptor protruding out of the top of the GP32, I have not had any problems using it with the GP32 what-so-ever.

Trooper

Awesome :)

What happens if you use a >128MB XD card? (ie: They're hard to find!)

More likely you can find cheapo 1GB cards. Woudl they work? (ie: assuming they're showing up as 128MB even though they're 1GB, or do they just not work..?)

It'd take some work to dig up my GP32 'library' .. file archive still good?

I wonder how the ol' GP32 has aged.. we been spoiled by the Gp2x? :)

jeff

I would expect any XD card > 128MB to be recognised as 128MB (as thats the highest media token supported by SMC), but it also might not work at all.

Ah, what Craigix says :)

Ouch, Skeezix, you made me bid on an auction for two of these 128MB cards <_<
I hope they will work and "resurrect" the GP32 for me once again :)
By the way, you can buy the XD-SMC adapter on DealExtreme so it's just a matter of $3 total or so.

As a counter example..

[edit: removed. Seems he was quoting someone else at the time and I mistook it for his account. My bad.]

It is tempting, but I don't think I want to know ohw muc effort it would be to make Battlejewels work on GP32 :p

jeff

Hmmm..

Aight, I'm going to order one of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16534

skeezix posted on Apr 28 2009 at 02:36 PM said:
As a counter example..

[edit: removed. Seems he was quoting someone else at the time and I mistook it for his account. My bad.]

It is tempting, but I don't think I want to know ohw muc effort it would be to make Battlejewels work on GP32 :p

jeff

Hmmm..

Aight, I'm going to order one of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16534
Why not? It would be great to get some new stuff for the gp32. The gp32 is really under appreciated these days. The gp32 could probably run 90% of the gp2x library, the exceptions being some of the emulators of newer systems and some of the 3d games.
I really like the gp32, actually more than the 2x. I like the controller and the form factor in general. My only complaint is that mine is an unlit screen.

Other than that, I love it and I wish the devs would support it again. If I knew how to make games, I would make some for it.

Chris

trooper posted on Apr 27 2009 at 06:56 PM said:
Hi skeezix,

I have one of those, I`ve had it for over a year, And bought it specifically for use with my GP32. I also bought six 128MB xd cards at the same time.

They work flawlessly, Apart from the adaptor protruding out of the top of the GP32, I have not had any problems using it with the GP32 what-so-ever.

Trooper
Great news. I gotta have a look at these adapters as well as I should have some 128M XDs hanging around. I found my GP32s a while back. The old trusty 32M RAM version and the FLU one (that is in pieces due half finished SD card project) :blink:

woot, spiv :)

I got the SMC XD adapter, but of course they forgot to ship the XD and I don't have any around. Seems like they're a right pain to find in these parts too, so I'm trying to find one cheap since I still have one on order with DX.. *Sigh* :)

(Now just trying to remember how the hell we got data onto an SMC card... unless I can write to it as an XD as well, which I sort of doubt :)

The adapter fits into the GP32 fine though, at least :)

jeff

Put the adaptor into the gp32 and either use my GpDrive or Spiv's PCLink if you have his firmware. Either way you'll need the funky gp32 specific usb cable, unless you have a smc reader.

Hmm, anyone got a pic of that gp32 cable? I probably have it, but of course have moved a couple times, and I have (let me say it) "all the handhelds ever" so a lot of cables :)

jeff

Luck has it I have it on my desk, I guess April-May are the months of the year when I remember about the GP32 :D

gp32cable.jpg

I think the NLU and BLU had slightly different cables... at least, one has a notch and the other doesn't so if you find what looks like the right cable but a little notch stops it going in then you need the other type. That make sense?

John

Back