SNES Hopeful?

JSmith

Still Fresh
I checked these forums out about 2 or 3 months ago, and whenever SNES was mentioned, it was always followed by "we'll never get full speed SNES emulation with sound on the GP32".

Then I came back today, and all of the sudden it seems things have changed. People now are talking about how they think full speed SNES emulation with sound will soon be a possibility.

Is this just the hope of some unrealistic dreamers, or have things changed? Was there some sort of breakthough that I missed?

Whats the official current thinking? Will full speed SNES emulation with sound soon be possible on the GP32, or is it the same old "highly unlikely" to "never"?

Ok I'll say this once SNES emulation was always possible on the gp32 it was just a matter of someone bothering to do the hard stuff and get it done. YoyoFR took the job and is doing great. It should be very near full speed when he's finished.
Cheers
Rob

I haven't tried it cause I haven't gotten a GP32 yet. No SNES emulation was what was keeping me from it (since I could just mod a GBA and then get GBA and NES).

But, if SNES emulation becomes a true reality, I'll be all over it.

I always thought the GP32 speeds prevented SNES emulation...not that it just needed optimized code.

yeah man. SNES emulation's coming along nicely, very impressive + fun.

don't plunk down your hundreds of dollars yet though, if you're expecting perfection.. keep watching to see what happens. (but, it's definitely a lot more encouraging than it had been)

You kind of need a 166mhz capable GP32 for SNES emulation. Just as well GBAx are now knocking them out sharpish... I've played SNES @ 133mhz and its not pretty!

Oh and Opensnes9xGP is amazing and very playable.

imo, it's down to the asm core that is being written. if this gets finished and implemented I'd say it will boost speed greatly

further tweaks to the current model can only improve speed so far.

but there are so many snes games that are fully playable with the current version that it really is worth getting a gp32 for it... there is a compatibility list somewhere, you should check the games you want to play

I do have to say I don't agree with some of the ratings... :p lufia II is not very playable @ 166 on my system :/ (too bad, only game I want to play that should run at the mo)

there is a list, in which i found in... uhh forgot his name, XD, anyway his sig, i put it in mine too :D

people just reveiw what games work, how good they work, and what specs you used

I do have to say I don't agree with some of the ratings... :p lufia II is not very playable @ 166 on my system :/ (too bad, only game I want to play that should run at the mo)
But I find it perfect @ 133 mhz with sound (FS 3/4) :D
hmm, I've been playing a bit longer now, and I have to reformulate myself : it is playable :) and it's so nice that some one is actually capable of pulling something like this off - however I'll wait untill the next speed boost comes and then I'll start playing rpg's :) maybe I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist ? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back