So I'm Going Away On A Fairly Long Trip

fightingdreamer88

Still Fresh
I'm heading off to the UK in a couple of weeks and I'll be staying there for anywhere between one and three months. I don't want to be spending money on power converters for game consoles to I have decided to take my GP2X with me (along with a ton of batteries) as my all-round gaming device for the trip. I need some help though. I'm just about to start packing it with games and I'm looking for some recommendations. Which emulators should I put on there? Which games? What about GP2X homebrew titles?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

emulazione88 said:
I'm heading off to the UK in a couple of weeks and I'll be staying there for anywhere between one and three months. I don't want to be spending money on power converters for game consoles to I have decided to take my GP2X with me (along with a ton of batteries) as my all-round gaming device for the trip. I need some help though. I'm just about to start packing it with games and I'm looking for some recommendations. Which emulators should I put on there? Which games? What about GP2X homebrew titles?

Homebrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Wind&water (excellent commercial game that you really should get anyway)
ruckman (homebrew)
scummvm (adventure game interpreter)
picodrive (sega emulator)
recommended games for picodrive: Golden Axe , Another World , B.C. racers , Dune 2 .

Just be careful with segaCD games, they can get really big (50-300 MB).

ok,

Take with you:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=38132

And maybe the gameboy zelda games if you have not played them yet.
And metroid games, though i dont know how metroid currently runs on the snes and gba emu.

And as some1 said before :) golden axe is a good choice !.
Also neo geo windjammers!!

When I was away I got addicted to Pirates gold on the mega drive however you should try Pirates on the Amiga

homebrew & ports:

wind&water, cave story, reword, ur-quan masters, s-tris 2, tecnoballz, sqdef, ghostpix

emu games:
nes - river city ransom, magic of scherezade, zelda 2, mario 2, castlevania 2
snes - super metroid, lufia 2, actraiser, ff6, zelda:lttp
genesis - cool spot, sonic spinball, street fighter 2, castlevania bloodlines
game boy - qbillion (simple but it rocks!)

yeah i like my sequels.

Well, if you swing the CRPG way, it's a given time to try to play those parts of your favourite series you never got around to - FCENes and Dragon Warrior I-IV, FF I-III, Earthbound zero; DrMD for Phantasy Star I-IV, Picodrive for Lunar I & II, OneOfTheSnesOnes for Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and just about every Square and Enix game in existance...

atomicthumbs said:
Get Cave Story. Now. it occupied me for much longer than a week-long trip.
Actually, I think you could last very long on Cave story + Wind&Water + Sqdef alone. Add Noiz2a and Ruckman for some change of tempo every now and then, and you'd be all set for months. Really.

emulazione88 said:
I'm heading off to the UK in a couple of weeks and I'll be staying there for anywhere between one and three months. I don't want to be spending money on power converters for game consoles to I have decided to take

I'm not sure what country you're originating from but you could just play your gp2x only during transit (flight, train, etc) and enjoy your time in the UK.

Wacky idea!!!!

Fat Agnus said:
emulazione88 said:
I'm heading off to the UK in a couple of weeks and I'll be staying there for anywhere between one and three months. I don't want to be spending money on power converters for game consoles to I have decided to take

I'm not sure what country you're originating from but you could just play your gp2x only during transit (flight, train, etc) and enjoy your time in the UK.

Wacky idea!!!!

you just blew my mind

Fat Agnus said:
emulazione88 said:

Wacky idea!!!!

Well yeah but three months is a long time and there'll be days when I'm wanting to play something. :p

Also I just gave Cave Story a try; it's awesome!! Had to turn it off before I got hooked right there and then. I'm also looking at Nethack although it seems somewhat complicated.

Parts of the UK has electricity and some of the quaint cottages have telephone lines and even cable. It is rumoured the Queen even has a wide screen TV. If you can't find an internet connection where you are staying you could hire a horse-drawn cab and ask them to take you to Ye Olde Internet Cafe. There you could keep up to date with the 'New Worlde Events' as we like to call them. Like homebrew and emulator releases etc..

Mr.Jabberwocky said:
Parts of the UK has electricity and some of the quaint cottages have telephone lines and even cable. It is rumoured the Queen even has a wide screen TV. If you can't find an internet connection where you are staying you could hire a horse-drawn cab and ask them to take you to Ye Olde Internet Cafe. There you could keep up to date with the 'New Worlde Events' as we like to call them. Like homebrew and emulator releases etc..
Sounds like things are really coming along there. :p

If you've intended that as a stab at my acting as if everything needs to be set up on my GP2X before I go, it's because I have like 28 hours of travelling before I get there. I'll go nuts if I don't have a bunch of stuff to play. I've got a fair few games on there now, most of them RPGs:

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles (including lock on combos)
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Phantasy Star I-IV
Ultima I-VI
Wasteland
Bard's Tale I-III
Contra
Super Mario Bros. 1-3
Final Fantasy I, II
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Earthbound 0, SNES
Secret of Mana (I wish it ran faster on the GP2X :( )
Double Dragon
Street Fighter II Turbo
Nethack
Cave Story
Dragon Warrior I-IV

I think I need to get some more variety in there....

Edit: I've gone through and added some more homebrew stuff...very good games, I don't tend to play a lot of homebrew but I'm impressed!!

Sqdef
Noiz2sa
s-tris2
reword

Tomorrow I'll be putting Sleuth Slots and Beatbox on there. Btw thank you very much for your suggestions!! :)

Mr.Jabberwocky said:
This man speaketh the trutheth. I just spent 3 hours shouting a series of 1's and 0's down my yoghurt pot connected by string to write this message! :)

As for stuff to load, theres a nice little site with Torrents for the GP2X, I wont post the link as Google is your friend but they have quite a few pre-setup monster packs, just download then copy to SD card. Saves alot of time imo.

Edited by Moderator

Yeah UK's pretty swank, didn't somebody put together an emulator compilation package type program yet, that sounds like good thing to have for occasions like this.

Back