Some Questions

Alperoot

Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.
Hi! This is my first post in Pandora Forums. I'm interested in Dragonbox Pyra and I have some questions.

1. Sory I dont know much about the device, so can we install Debian (or Ubuntu, Backtrack, Fedora etc.) to Dragonbox Pyra?

2. As far as I know, Pandora OS is Linux based. So, is apt-get (or other linux commands) is working? (I will probably try to install some pentesting software)

3. There are some usb ports on that device. Are there any support for an external wifi-card?

4. And finally, the release date (at least a hint ☺)

Please answer and thanks for that awesome device!

1. Sory I dont know much about the device, so can we install Debian (or Ubuntu, Backtrack, Fedora etc.) to Dragonbox Pyra?
Yes, Debian the default OS. I have no idea about Ubuntu but since there is

2. As far as I know, Pandora OS is Linux based. So, is apt-get (or other linux commands) is working? (I will probably try to install some pentesting software)
It is an Angstrom Linux Distro. It uses opkg but it almost the same as apt-get. But with less stuff in the repos, so you have to build some stuff (like sshpass) yourself. If you want to build stuff or use Debian, you can use Pandebian (nice to the full debians libs and headers) or the codeblocks pnd where lots of stuff is inside.

3. There are some usb ports on that device. Are there any support for an external wifi-card?
Pandora: Yes there are lots of people using external usb wlan sticks. My wlan is fine since ED remove the strange tin foil.

Probably yes if there are drivers for the stick you want to use (there are a lot of drivers ready to use for a lot of sticks).

Finished:

The mainboard

The screen

The case (some minor tweaks pending)

No finished:

The cpu board design

The rotator chip (almost finished)

Decided what to do about the nubs (manufacturer want to stop to produce them if we don't order lots of them)

Mass production case (get the molds)

Keyboard layout (this is war, and I stay out of it)

No NAND chip has been choosen (i hope for 32 GB but it could be 16 GB)

WIFI Chip is undecided

No sure:

Battery (ED wants 6000 maH Batteries which is nice)

My personal, normal board user guess: 6 months or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will have a Debian based distribution, with apt-get support. However, note that the microchip is ARM and not an Intel/AMD, thus, some things will not apt-get install, like Wine. (we can not use the full x86 repository)

At the moment for the Pandora, we have lots of different things, the Armstrong distribution, Debian, Slackware (that I can remember), of course Android.

Besides the native support for wifi, you can connnect a wifi dongle  through USB, *(are you thinking of a PCMCIA card when you say wifi card? There is no such connector) thus a wifi that works with Linux.

1. Yes

2. yes

3. Depend on model

4. My guestimate is jan 2016. Probably with preorders in dec.

:ph34r: 'd by Rohezal

Hi! This is my first post in Pandora Forums. I'm interested in Dragonbox Pyra and I have some questions.

Keep in mind this device uses an ARM processor and does not natively support X86 instructions.

Not all linux distributions support ARM, the easiest way is to use already pre-build Pandora/Pyra distributions.

The Pandora also supports external wifi cards, but you might want to check the compatibility with linux before you purchase the wifi device (as with any linux machine). The Pandora currently already have tor/kismet/aircrack-ng.

There is no fixed release date but ED will try to have it build this year if I'm correct, but with the Pandora development in mind it might be 2016 but I'm confident ED will try to release it as soon as feasible.

Thanks a lot to everyone! I hope it releases quick because I'm interested in Pandora/Pyra a lot but I watched some videos and read some replies which saying "I ordered it and Im waiting it for 1 year!" Or "It finally came after one and a half year". I hope this doesnt appear anymore!

Thanks a lot to everyone! I hope it releases quick because I'm interested in Pandora/Pyra a lot but I watched some videos and read some replies which saying "I ordered it and Im waiting it for 1 year!" Or "It finally came after one and a half year". I hope this doesnt appear anymore!
The original production run of the Pandora was handled by a different guy that handled things poorly, EvilDragon rescued the Pandora project by moving production to Germany and generally handling things better. Unfortunately the process was still very messy. The other thing that complicated the Pandora was that pre-orders were taken before even a working proto-type was even made, so there was some pain of figuring out the design and sourcing all the parts for manufacturing. This time around EvilDragon won't start pre-orders until the device is 100% ready for production to avoid any surprises with Manufacturing and additional costs.

You're absolutely right. I'm so excited to see this device! And the thing I really want to know is, as I see in the last video, it has a sim card port and there is telephone application in android. I think you get the point...

So a lot of people will be able to buy Pyra (hopefully in next 4 months) right?

.. it has a sim card port and there is telephone application in android. I think you get the point...
Don't forget that the Pyra (as the Pandora before it) won't be a perfect product - software wise - when it comes out. A lot of features may not work out of the box or even at all. While the phone feature is a possibility, it may take some time or forever till something gets ported or written that is more comfortable to use than starting scripts from a commandline.

Android should be expected in a similar vein, there won't be any officially supported version for the Pyra. Maybe someone from the community will create one, but no one knows when or if this will happen at all.

Back