Something Positive About The Gp2x

DaveC

Internal Development
I noticed the screen on the Gp2X has much better contrast and color saturation than my GP32 BLU did. I compared DrMD and other stuff on both and it isn't close. The Gp2X has near inky blacks and super vibrant rich colors. While good, my GP32 BLU looks pale and washed out in comparison. I do notice the scan line issue but it should be fixed later and isn't bad much of the time.

It is nearly as good as the PSP as far as the color and contrast but the Gp2X doesn't have any of the ghosting of the PSP. I say the screen is a real good point of the GP2X, it is one of the better screens I have seen on a handheld.

Note for those with the old firmware with the uneven brightness and shadowing, the screen looks much nicer even with the scanlines/interlace on the newer firmware in my opinion.

I have been very impressed with the screen as well. I was a bit taken aback by the uneven brightness at first, but that was fixed in the first firmware release. I have my suspicions that my nitoceably increased battery life came as a result of that as well. The screen was noticeably darker.

I am sending mine in for the recall on Dec. 16th. Hopefully I will have a perfectly working unit when I start teaching again on Jan. 2nd. I have no way of fixing the headphone jack myself. Besides I'll be so busy visiting my fiance and family over Christmas that I won't be able to play it.

I can't wait to see what the emulators will be like at that point (especially PSX, SNES, NGCD, and Genesis). I will be bringing some of my old PS CDs to test.

Yeah, the screen is damn nice. I don't even really get the scanline thing that other people have been getting (I am getting the joystick screen-rippling, but now we know what that's about.) I'm pretty happy with the whole thing all-in-all so far, even though there's not a lot out for it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The screen is indeed very awesome.
I used a FLU before the GP2X, so you can tell that I'm seriously impressed now! :-D

BTW, I noticed that you can turn off the LCD in the MP3 player. But is it possible to just turn off the light, like on the GP32 FLU/BLU? Has any developer tried it?

Ravnos posted on Dec 7 2005 at 07:52 AM said:
Yeah, the screen is damn nice. I don't even really get the scanline thing that other people have been getting (I am getting the joystick screen-rippling, but now we know what that's about.) I'm pretty happy with the whole thing all-in-all so far, even though there's not a lot out for it yet.
not a lot out??? have you checked the file archive? There is tons of stuff already out.

x68000 posted on Dec 7 2005 at 02:05 AM said:
Ravnos posted on Dec 7 2005 at 07:52 AM said:
not a lot out??? have you checked the file archive? There is tons of stuff already out.

I have checked the archive, there's a bit of stuff out but there's not mountains of stuff to go through like with the GP32, and a lot of the stuff out already is a bit buggy. That's fine, though. I can wait.

unlucky posted on Dec 7 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
heh i cant get my gp2x to flash so my screen still looks terrible i cant wait to see what it really should like on drmd

Prepare to be blown away. It looked like crap on the old firmware screen. To me it was unwatcheable, too washed out and had those shadows in dark areas, terrible. When updated it is not quite as bright but wow! the color saturation and aparent contrast shot way up. The only thing is it has the interlace that is noticeable sometimes but it is still a worthwhile trade off. Even with that it looks SO much nicer.

Back