Sonic Robo Blast 2

Hello,

My name is Callum Dickinson. I'm the packager for the SRB2 Linux packages (for RPM-based and DEB-based i386 and PowerPC-based Linux distributions), I also develop the Wii port of SRB2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yVfiVOrtqg ;) ).

Anyway, the reason I've revived this thread is now that SRB2 2.0 is out, I thought maybe someone on the Pandora team (Pickle perhaps) could try it out and see if it works. I would also like to know if Pickle has done any special tricks with the source code or any special switches at compile time to make the ARM port of SRB2 work properly on the Pandora, because soon my SRB2 Debian repositories will support the ARM version of SRB2 and I really want them to work on the Pandora. At the moment I don't plan on buying a Pandora and since I live so far away I don't think I could be getting one for a while.

Thanks guys. =)

Hi Callum. :) First things first, don't go thinking you're too far away. There are a few New Zealanders with preorders secured, and plenty of Aussies too.

For some reason the srb2 site is timing out for me, I'll try again later. You should send Pickle a PM, he'll probably be happy to talk dev stuff with you.

Callum Dickinson said:
Hello,

My name is Callum Dickinson. I'm the packager for the SRB2 Linux packages (for RPM-based and DEB-based i386 and PowerPC-based Linux distributions), I also develop the Wii port of SRB2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yVfiVOrtqg ;) ).

Anyway, the reason I've revived this thread is now that SRB2 2.0 is out, I thought maybe someone on the Pandora team (Pickle perhaps) could try it out and see if it works. I would also like to know if Pickle has done any special tricks with the source code or any special switches at compile time to make the ARM port of SRB2 work properly on the Pandora, because soon my SRB2 Debian repositories will support the ARM version of SRB2 and I really want them to work on the Pandora. At the moment I don't plan on buying a Pandora and since I live so far away I don't think I could be getting one for a while.

Thanks guys. =)

Hi welcome, i was not aware that it was finished. I will take a look when i can.
There werent any major changes made for the pandora that i can remember. The pandora is an awesome platform to work on, pretty much if it works on x86 it will work on the OMAP.
The only thing that would make it run better is using opengles, but that require rework of the source code.
The wiz on the other hand was a pain, its a little fuzzy but at one point I went back to the Doom branch, but i cant remember if thats what i released or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Hi Callum. :) First things first, don't go thinking you're too far away. There are a few New Zealanders with preorders secured, and plenty of Aussies too.

For some reason the srb2 site is timing out for me, I'll try again later. You should send Pickle a PM, he'll probably be happy to talk dev stuff with you.

Oh, really? I'll look into it then when the next batch is available then. =)

Unfortunately, the SRB2.org server's filesystem check failed a couple of days ago, so now its down at the moment fixing it. We've got a lot of stuff on there to check, so yeah, naturally it's going to take a while.

Pickle said:
Hi welcome, i was not aware that it was finished. I will take a look when i can.
There werent any major changes made for the pandora that i can remember. The pandora is an awesome platform to work on, pretty much if it works on x86 it will work on the OMAP.
The only thing that would make it run better is using opengles, but that require rework of the source code.
The wiz on the other hand was a pain, its a little fuzzy but at one point I went back to the Doom branch, but i cant remember if thats what i released or not.

It seems like you've been out of the loop for a little while, so I think I'll bring you back up to speed a little bit.

We've got a new dedicated server for the website, so some URLs have changed. The SVN is now at svn://code.srb2.org/, with the latest source code residing in /SRB2/trunk. trac is now at http://trac.srb2.org/. The code for SRB2 2.0 has been cleaned up a lot, so you will most likely have no warnings and other offputting issues compiling SRB2. I haven't tried compiling for ARM in a while, but I'm pretty sure it compiles fine. =)

OpenGL support has unfortunately been dropped by most of the development team, it used to crash the moment SRB2 starts. =P However, some development team members have been updating it, so it now loads, plays all levels fine apart from transparency problems, fog problems and other visual glitches, and it even supports polyobjects. =) At the moment I don't recommend making OpenGL the default renderer because of these issues, I'd stick with Software for now. In the official MSVC SRB2 builds the checkparm for OpenGL is commented out because it doesn't work well enough at the moment.

So there you have it, when the server comes back online, it would be nice if you could check it out. =)

EDIT: SRB2.org is now back online.

gp2.eXe said:
Pickle said:
Callum Dickinson said:
Sorry if I come across as arrogant, but Pickle, I was wondering about your progress with this?

I havnt looked at it yet.
Because he hasn't appeased you?

Indeed my quota has not been met...

In all seriousness, im a one man team that can only do so much. I try to get to things when i can, sometimes some projects take presidence if I have more of an interest in seeing them completed. Like the SDL+opengles for example. Im not saying Callum Dickinson is being pushy, but just wanted an update which is fine, im just giving the reasons why there hasnt been any activity.

Getting this to run again on the pandora shouldnt be too hard, but the pandora's arnt out so theres no one to use it. And is there going to be much more to see than what was in the video I put up?
Getting a version out on the wiz could be difficult if I released the version of the Doom branch (this was the branch used for the gp2x version), updating the latest version could take time.

I tried playing it, not too bad, but my graphics card doesn't like it too much. It zooms/accelerates a bit too quickly though in my opinion. I over jump and miss stuff. Plus it is based on hardware keys IDs and not actual keyboard layouts, so it puzzled me a little bit at first when trying to quit(hit y on the prompt)

Back