source code collection / repo, help needed

sswam

Advanced Member
>> hey there, Pandora developers!

I am collecting source code for our PNDs, in git, at pandoria.org/src.

If you think this is a good idea, please tell me where I can find your source code!

Some reasons to collect source code:

copyleft - distributors must provide the source code on request

rebuild - we can rebuild for future Pandora OS releases, Pandora 2

backup - if your servers explode, we might save your code

survival - if a developer quits, we can keep his projects alive

bugfix - we can fix bugs and offer patches if we have source code

hacking - we can modify free software if we have the source code

reuse - we can reuse open source code in other projects; this is good

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry, that I still didn't find the time to package it up. I'm pretty busy with RL work right now. But we will get there.

I like this initiative!

Especially for software which was written for the Pandora, this is really important in my opinion. For straightforward recompiles of existing big projects, it's OK since the sources are easy enough to find, but this is not the case for Pandora-specific homebrew stuff, for which the sources are maybe not even available anywhere, or only in some obscure forum thread or dev website which might not exist forever.

Could be useful, I remember some cases where the sourcecode was jost during serval accidents, this can happen and a save online backup could prevent such bad surprises in the future. :)

I'll add my firefox patches/build scripts when I get my 1G.

Thanks for the help, I've added Wakebreaker, and will look at PokeParadox sources soon.

There's no hurry with this.

One can scarcely imagine the horror of source code lost to a serval (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serval) accident!(EDIT: when I have more significant improvements to xu4, I'll upload the source tarball)

180px-Serval_portrait.jpg
serval-kitten.jpg

A serval from the Sabi Sands area of South Africa. Note the large ears adapted for hearing small prey.

I'd like to rudely suggest that every developer should use a version control system such as Git, Mercurial, even Subversion. You can then put your code on google code or github. This makes it easier to snarf it, and offers some protection from Serval accidents.

serval-kitten-2.jpg

Back