Squidgesnes Source

MakavelianKode posted on Feb 16 2006 at 10:39 AM said:
So I read skeezix's article and realized I've already programmed an emulator in school. Other people that have taken a computer organization type class probably know what I'm talking about. In any case, it was a REAL simple, imaginary processor that I "emulated" but the VM theory is the same so I think I'd be able to do it. But, my goal is really jus to make FCEgp2x faster so I don't need to do all that.

I finally get my gp2x today so I'll fiddle around with the source for fcegp2x and change the libs - have it use Ryleh's minilib instead of SDL (or should I just use paeryn's libs instead?

*g* Yes, writing a CPU core emulator is essentially a state-machine with some decoder logic thrown in.. somethign you do in CS classes, but just taken more extreme.

Making the whole emu of course is not something done in class, and is not hard.. tedious, but not hard.

Making an emu from scratch (not looking at someone elses work) is a right pain in the ass, but I woudl persist is not hard.. just painful. Nowadays its not much a worry with dozxens of emus around to look at and refine. 10 years ago it was a bitch, as we were still figuring out what half the chips did :)

So yeah, you've probably done it, so dive right in; no fear! :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool stuff guys, thanks. Can't wait to fiddle around with it. I've been idling in the dev channel some so I'll ask any questions in there.

Back