Ssh Into Gp2x

Optimistic

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
So I noticed that in the settings section you can assign the GP2X an IP address (I assume to transfer files via ftp). Is it also possible to ssh into the GP2X to run commands?--- this would be faster that writing scripts and dumping the results into a text file.

On a side note: how do I access the GP2X via ftp anyway. I RTFM but it wasn't so clear and what I tried didn't work.

Optimistic posted on Jul 11 2006 at 02:01 PM said:
So I noticed that in the settings section you can assign the GP2X an IP address (I assume to transfer files via ftp). Is it also possible to ssh into the GP2X to run commands?--- this would be faster that writing scripts and dumping the results into a text file.

On a side note: how do I access the GP2X via ftp anyway. I RTFM but it wasn't so clear and what I tried didn't work.
You could, but why not just telnet ;) (to self: ooh, pedant!)

If you turn on the "advanced" part of the system settings menu, you can activate the telnet server.
Try this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...amp;st=30&#

I started writing an in-depth guide a while back, will have to finish that one day...

Last edited by a moderator:
Optimistic posted on Jul 11 2006 at 07:01 AM said:

Forgive me for being noobish, but does this mean that the GP2X has some sort of communication capability? Not as a cell phone or something, but connectivity to an online service/server of sorts? I read the posts in this thread and I see Internet/Web related stuff!!!!!!!!!!

you can build [any*]d and run it on the gp2x, and that includes sshd, and once you get USB-Networking up and config'ed you can put [any*]d on your gp2x and run it, and serve..

my 'make install' targets usually include a 'mount /mnt/[name_of_gp2x]' to install, and 'make run' does 'ssh [me@name_of_gp2x] appname.gpe' for testing ..

Parkydr posted on Jul 11 2006 at 01:57 PM said:
Networking is available over USB

I'm acting noobishly again, but what exactly do you mean by networking over USB?

Kyalami posted on Jul 11 2006 at 10:54 PM said:

I'm acting noobishly again, but what exactly do you mean by networking over USB?
You can plug your GP2X into your PC in the same way you would to transfer files and create a network between the GP2X and the PC, which can allow the GP2X to use the PC's Internet connection.

Orkie posted on Jul 11 2006 at 03:59 PM said:
Kyalami posted on Jul 11 2006 at 10:54 PM said:

You can plug your GP2X into your PC in the same way you would to transfer files and create a network between the GP2X and the PC, which can allow the GP2X to use the PC's Internet connection.

But I wouldn't be able to see the actual internet on the GP2X, right? What would be the practical uses of this networking?

Kyalami posted on Jul 11 2006 at 11:01 PM said:
But I wouldn't be able to see the actual internet on the GP2X, right? What would be the practical uses of this networking?

Once you have plugged in the USB cable, your GP2X can see everything (on the internet) that your PC can. Emails, newsgroups, web sites, irc, etc...

Squidge posted on Jul 11 2006 at 04:07 PM said:
Kyalami posted on Jul 11 2006 at 11:01 PM said:

Once you have plugged in the USB cable, your GP2X can see everything (on the internet) that your PC can. Emails, newsgroups, web sites, irc, etc...

So you're saying that, technically to some extent, I could see the exact screen of the PC on my GP2X, only by connecting the USb cable? I could see this forum page on my GP2X by doing just that? What are the practical uses of this?

You do not see the PC screen on the GP2x. You run a GP2X program for web browsing, and you see the webpages (no flash, no shockwave, no special effects) you navigate to. You run a GP2X program for MAIL, you can read your email (I don't know if you can reply with the GP2X yet) You can telnet from your GP2X using the GP2X Telnet ability (I really don't know how) You can use your GP2X like a small internet computer, but you need to download the programs and have the connection.

one very good use for this network connection will be if someone ports ipkg and we get a software repository

Sparr posted on Jul 11 2006 at 11:07 PM said:
one very good use for this network connection will be if someone ports ipkg and we get a software repository
then you would have to build a package database on gp2x, which is already short of useful space (even more after you installed some internet applications) so I think [IMHO] that most people would rather copy the .gpe to the SD card as the usual way...

Kyalami posted on Jul 11 2006 at 11:16 PM said:
So you're saying that, technically to some extent, I could see the exact screen of the PC on my GP2X, only by connecting the USb cable? I could see this forum page on my GP2X by doing just that? What are the practical uses of this?

You can't see the exact screen at the moment but if someone ports VNC that may be possible. If you use Linux, you can run X applications on your PC and display them on the GP2X using the X server.

You can see this forum on your GP2X if you use one of the web browsers available, but don't expect it to be very usable because of the small screen size.

Sparr posted on Jul 12 2006 at 12:07 AM said:
GPE has had one for ages now :)

So far with the USB networking (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) I've managed to get a small website on my GP2x available to anyone on my internal network. Quite good really, you can telnet into my 2x from anywere in the house, using the laptop over it's wireless connection!

Just trying to get it to be served up on a different port to the "big wide world" at the moment, although that requires port mapping which my router won't do to an IP address not in it's range (bummer). I will get there though :)

Back