Ssh To Pandora Extremelly Slow

Hitnrun

When I SSH from my computer to the pandora, via wifi, it is extremelly slow, I get terrible delays like 1 second between each click and it appearing on the screen, is there anything that may be wrong with my setup?

I tried this at 2 places already, at home and at work, with the same problem.

skeezix said:
For fun try sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

Jeffphone

Wow, this should be documented somewhere! (is it?)

Last edited by a moderator:
mvickers03 said:
Hitnrun said:
skeezix said:

Jeffphone

Did that make SSHing to Pandora more responsive?

Wouldn't it be sensible to turn it on again afterwards as well, or does it do that automatically?

mvickers03 said:
Hitnrun said:
skeezix said:

Jeffphone

Did that make SSHing to Pandora more responsive?

Yes, SSH now is "normal" after this setting, I type and it answers in realtime.

Does this makes wifi use more power?

If you turn off power saving mode by hand youd have to turn it back on too

Coupd also use no compression on your ssh.. Sometimes thats annoyng - compression tends to queue up. Iys so it can compress them.

Never had much problem with ssh to my pandoras mind you

Jeffphone

Hitnrun said:
skeezix said:

Jeffphone

It's not in the wiki yet, because I haven't noticed it help... now i need to work out where to put wifi stuff...
Edit: fixed...
http://pandorawiki.org/Wifi

Wow thanks for this.

Wifi is much faster now, It's staying like this from now on. I haven't noticed the battery meter drop much either

Bosbeetle said:
:eek: does this also increases the speed for minitube etc? Might this be the solution for the slowing of wifi?
It's not. Turning off power save mode was recommended weeks ago and it was reported to have no appreciable effect on the speed, just on the ping times.
That doesn't mean it won't help with minitube. Ping times can be very important, and a long ping can give the illusion of slow speed as in this case with SSH, so it might help with minitube, and may also help with general web surfing as the browser doesn't have to wait as long for a response.
On the whole, however, it was reported that downloading a large file takes approximately the same length of time regardless of whether power save mode is on or off, so doesn't actually work to make the wifi go any faster, just makes it respond faster.

Back