GP2X Star Control 2 On Gp2x?

nemt

Website
www.nemesisz.net
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but all I can find is some very old discussions of a GP32 port, without anything coming of it. The 3DO version source code was released a while back, and the porting process to modern OSs has been very fruitful so far (as I'm sure most of you know).

Attention, interloper. Heed this recorded message!

There's a few things which you should know
1) v0.4 works with everything so far, I believe, apart from changing your captain's name. However, the sound is pretty 'laggy': When you hit a button, the soundeffect for that action is being played about 2 seconds later. Very irritating in Melee. v0.4 is, AFAIK, based on UQM v0.4

2) v0.5 seems to work with Melee only. The laggy sound is gone, and v0.5 is based on UQM v0.51. Doesn't work for me with the full game. And if it somehow works, you can't save anyways. Also, v0.5 loads VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY slowly. It takes about 4 minutes to get in the game, and each ship (when in Melee) loads in about 20 seconds. However, for the rest the Melee part works perfectly, and sound is really nice. No lags with sound. That is why I prefer to run v0.5 when doing some Melee..

Also, PicoDrive, a Sega Genesis/Megadrive emulator, plays Star Control 1 nicely without graphics glitches. Too bad the Genesis version of SC1 is rather slow in Melee. But still. Nothing beats owning the Hierarchy ass in a Full Game on SC1... Apart from playing the full SC2 game with proper sound ofcourse. But I'm sure we'll get that one day....

Back