Still no tablet? Then why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is WeTab. It looks like exactly what you are searching for. Specs are not stellar anymore but WeTab is open to installing your own linux of choice.

www.ebay.de/ctg/WeTab-WeTab-3G-32GB-WLAN-3G-295-cm-116-Zoll-Schwarz-/111422212?_refkw=wetab+tablet&_pcatid=841&_pcategid=171485&_dmpt=DE_iPad_Tablets_PCs_eReaders

Long story short, the OP wants a tablet device that is open and well supported by the developers and community, just like the Pandora is. The device he wants is something that the Pandora is not, though. If there is a market for such a device then I strongly encourage the OP to find a group of like minded people who want such a device and work together to realize their dream; I will support such an effort. Trying to co-opt an existing project and change it from something it is not into your personally ideal device is bound to be met with criticism.

The OP clearly doesn't own a Pandora - and clearly has not researched it appropriately.

The OP is welcome to buy a Pandora, a 10" screen and more batteries (to power said screen). Crack open the Pandora, adapt out the video cable, chuck the key mat, make his own custom case to put the whole mess in and turn it into a tablet. He might need to write his own on-screen keyboard or connect up a Bluetooth one though.

He would still have access to the PND formatted files, all of the other Pandora goodness - except the analog nubs, etc...

He's free to do that - so why is he complaining about lack of freedom again?

I'm glad OPTeam exist to supply the small number of people that want to play very very old games ...because that's me.

I got a tablet for playing modern touch based games, which there are a few I enjoy playing, but the Pandora is/will be, for my retro needs

[and a little online stuffs and self learning I hope]

Viva OPTeam

Ah Original Poster.. I always associate OP with Open Pandora.. last few posts made me read through it several times to figure out what people meant.

The OP clearly doesn't own a Pandora - and clearly has not researched it appropriately.

The OP is welcome to buy a Pandora, a 10" screen and more batteries (to power said screen). Crack open the Pandora, adapt out the video cable, chuck the key mat, make his own custom case to put the whole mess in and turn it into a tablet. He might need to write his own on-screen keyboard or connect up a Bluetooth one though.

He would still have access to the PND formatted files, all of the other Pandora goodness - except the analog nubs, etc...

He's free to do that - so why is he complaining about lack of freedom again?
Or hack around with PandoraOS until it works on the tablet of his choice :)

Tablet people! Seriously, get off my lawn you hooligans!

Send from my ZTE Warp

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several times used my Pandora to run random programs that I couldn't put on any other devices I have sitting around. For instance I used it to test ptpd against my main computer, and I've used it to communicate with a local WEP router so I don't compromise my whole network.. I've also used it for things where not having a keyboard would have made it a lot more cumbersome to use. Even just running a terminal.

So I don't really care what you say about freedom and whatever, it seems to be doing fine as a Linux device where others fail, and it doesn't really matter if that's a byproduct of being a means to an end or not.

I'm not even going to touch how you think a tablet is somehow more "free", it doesn't dictate even one less proprietary component. I think you just enjoy spouting crap about freedom and 99% on top of completely unrelated and selfish desires to try to give more emotional appeal to your argument. Why don't you drop that and just stick with complaining about Pandora not being what YOU want to buy.. oh yeah, probably because no one cares what you want.

After trying to figure it out for a while I guess what you're saying is that Pandora could be some beacon of spreading Linux and other free software and anything that isn't is anti-freedom.. therefore it's committing a sin by not maximizing its sales by being a tablet. Problem is, if it were a tablet it'd probably have sold even less. And you're dead wrong about people playing old games, look at Virtual Console figures some time. Emulators on phones/tablets have gotten hundreds of thousands of purchases collectively.. so OPT would have to be selling a hell of a lot more of whatever they're selling before the lack of interest in emulation even begins to be a bottleneck.

I'm sure out of the million and one tablets out there at least one of them can run Linux officially, if not unofficially - in addition to all the ones people have mentioned maybe you should take a look into something from Archos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Troll_in_the_Dungeon!.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back