Streaming Online Videos?

bowserevilking

Still Fresh
Hello, as I understand it the GP2X's included media player is MPlayer. Now, one of the most useful features of MPlayer in my opinion would be it's capability to stream online videos. If you had a wireless connection(Here) would this work? Ex. I find the direct link to an online video(http://somethingsomething.flv) and give that as the file to play. Would it work? Please note I do not have a GP2X yet.

I want to say no. I don't think the Mplayer in the GP2X supports Flash video. Mostly, I think I could remember being able to play flv files as being a big deal. I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong on this, but I can't seem to find hard evidence.

mindlord said:
I want to say no. I don't think the Mplayer in the GP2X supports Flash video. Mostly, I think I could remember being able to play flv files as being a big deal. I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong on this, but I can't seem to find hard evidence.
I did not mean only flv videos. I meant like Divx or avi or whatever it does support. Mainly, I want to know if it can stream online videos at all.
BTW, it seems like it would be easy to compare the latest MPlayer source to the GP2X MPlayer source and compile an awesome hybrid (or at least a GP2X compatible one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Any container that the GP2X Mplayer could handle should work for streaming too. The Wiz is supposed to get a Wifi add on soon, you might look into that instead.

So, are you saying that the GP2X MPlayer supports streaming? Like, can it access the connection the GP2X makes and understand that "Although it is not in memory, this is an AVI/FLV and thusly I should play it" if it still ends in .avi? Because I don't want to take up onboard storage. Also, it would be simply awesome if the GP2x can copy/paste between applications(eg. Copy a link location from a site such as Clipnabber and paste into MPlayer, because that is what I do 99% of the time to watch videos online.)

The GP2X does not have a full functional web browser, that I know of. It doesn't have a GUI OS capable of copy/paste between apps either. If you were going to do something like this, it would have to be some sort of dedicated Application that scrapes known video sites for the stream URLs and feeds them to MPlayer, or command line only stuff.

Basically, the GP2X is not at all designed to do what you are trying to do, and will take some real work to get it all working. If you're wanted portable browsing in general, you might want to look for a more powerful device, like one of those Nokia MIDs or a Pandora.

Back