The ARMiga Project

That floppy disc controller is interesting, if you've a large collection of (cracked) Amiga disks but a broken or thrown away machine.  But otherwise this doesn't really offer anything that an Ouya or even a RPi doesn't, especially as they don't seem keen to show the joystick.

Well, I like the idea to be able to use the actual floppies, but I am pretty sure that after a short time one would go back to the .ADF files ... maybe I would consider it if I wouldn't already have an Amiga in my pocket all the time with the Pandora and UAE4ALL ;)

ADF? An opened IPF or a clone is sorely needed IMO. But perhaps I missed that?

Is the floppy disk going to be an SD-card reader?
Not as I understand it. The RPi has it's in-built SD port and the clever bit about this kit is the interface (or controller, as they're calling it) that interfaces a standard floppy drive to the RPi in such a way that it can read Amiga discs.

The console will allow you to copy non-copy protected discs over to your SD card, and once you've done that you won't need the floppy any more, except on a real Amiga. It's unclear whether copy protected games can be read sufficiently by this interface, and whether they're working on the emulator to emulate the old floppy controller chip so copy protection hacks have a chance of working with the real floppy.

They have said that they're looking for ways to be able to ADF up copy protected discs and store them on your SD card. That strikes me as a different issue from the one above.

Back