The DragonBox Pyra will have an upgradable CPU?

If that was what was meant by upgradeable then every modern device with a CPU would be upgradeable
Maybe desktops, but I don't really see any mobile phones or tablets that you can upgrade like that (or at all)
You can't desolder CPUs in mobile devices?

Edit:  I added a note to that post to make it more clear what I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
certain machine would allow you to do so. But that's far from user servicable... beside, good luck to find a new SOC that is pin compatible and OS compatible (if you ever manage to not break the rest of the board while desoledering and soldering a new) :p

Hey, someone made a physical representation of PNDManager's QObject layer :p
Not yet. This is just a proof of concept. The full things will requiere more room :p
another pic:

FullSynthMIT-Museum.jpg
I think I have seen much bigger set ups before.
Is that a wall of PAIA 4700-series modules? Dearie me...

Ah. No. Joe Paradisos homebuilt thingie. I feel a lot better now.

certain machine would allow you to do so. But that's far from user servicable... 
that was exactly my point.  The Pyra is easily upgradeable.  If someone's standard for an upgradeable CPU design means they need to desolder the old one and solder in a new one then most modern electronic devices qualify, and the Pyra would not stand out.  (If people would do complete quotes you all wouldn't have to read through me making the same point multiple times since earlier explanations would not have been cut out.)

Ah. No. Joe Paradisos homebuilt thingie. I feel a lot better now.
I haven't read about it in a while.  I used that picture because it was one of the first results for my image search and it makes me happy to imagine the possibilities.  Modular stuff is great.

certain machine would allow you to do so. But that's far from user servicable...
that was exactly my point.  The Pyra is easily upgradeable.  If someone's standard for an upgradeable CPU design means they need to desolder the old one and solder in a new one then most modern electronic devices qualify, and the Pyra would not stand out.  (If people would do complete quotes you all wouldn't have to read through me making the same point multiple times since earlier explanations would not have been cut out.)
I guess you're not very clear, because even being able to desolder does not mean "upgradable". As per the rest of sebt3's quote, it's rare that you can just switch chips in a board - even if they have the same number of pins in the same shape
(If people would do complete quotes you all wouldn't have to read through me making the same point multiple times since earlier explanations would not have been cut out.)
Ironic that...

I guess you're not very clear, because even being able to desolder does not mean "upgradable". As per the rest of sebt3's quote, it's rare that you can just switch chips in a board - even if they have the same number of pins in the same shape
(If people would do complete quotes you all wouldn't have to read through me making the same point multiple times since earlier explanations would not have been cut out.)
Ironic that...
really... 

The DragonBox Pyra will have an upgradable CPU?
So you don't have to solder anything it's just a few screws, and snap it into place?
If that (edited for clarity: soldering) was what was meant by upgradeable then every modern device with a CPU would be upgradeable. The design was done in such a way that it will be simpler to do an upgrade than if it were soldered on the main board.
If that was what was meant by upgradeable then every modern device with a CPU would be upgradeable
Maybe desktops, but I don't really see any mobile phones or tablets that you can upgrade like that (or at all)
It was a light hearted, joking comment. Since we can't have fun here:

If we are already making hardware modifications to accomodate our "upgrade", then additional modifications to accomodate a new processor should fit fine. Once you have the needed hardware in place you can fix the software as well.

I am pretty sure when sebt3 said

certain machine would allow you to do so. But that's far from user servicable... beside, good luck to find a new SOC that is pin compatible and OS compatible (if you ever manage to not break the rest of the board while desoledering and soldering a new) :p
it was understood that I didn't mean doing all of this really made it upgradeable.  I was saying that the Pyra allows you to upgrade in a sensible way that did not require extensive hardware mods, possible engineering challenges, and making suitable software.  Sure, my word choices were poor, but I didn't think that I needed to switch to E-Prime to make a joke that if a thing that most people wouldn't do, that really wouldn't be considered an upgrade as much as a mod, was considered an upgrade, then other devices might be upgradeable as well, and so the choice to say that it is upgradeable, especially by the user, means all the additional complexity shouldn't be required.

I can't tell if you, pmprog, are joking, or if you really couldn't follow along.

I can't tell if you, pmprog, are joking, or if you really couldn't follow along
In all honesty, no, I didn't follow. I guess a combination of dealing with some of the people I've been dealing with at work lately (who really do take the biscuit sometimes), and being pretty exhausted (mentally and physically), it just didn't twig.
Sorry, and I'll just retreat to my hobble and get on with my game projects (and work, of course :( )

Back