The Killer Bees For Odyssey2

b._.o._.b

killbees.jpg

This time I'm reviewing a game for Odyssey2 / Philips videopac / G7000/74000 The Killer Bees

The games for Philips Videopac are graphically rather basic and the sounds could be described as "bleep bleep". So the developers of these games had to put all their effort in making a game packed with as much gameplay as possible in limited lines of code.
In some cases they succeeded and made terrific games that we can still enjoy many years later. One of the best examples is The Killer Bees.

The Game

In The Killer Bees you are a swarm of bees that needs to destroy some robots that run around the screen. You destroy them by attacking them. The robots will not die immediately, first they will lose power and run increasingly slower (as long as you attack them) until they are destroyed. Once you've destroyed a robot, a nice gravestone will appear. Your mission is to destroy all robots, if that succeeds a new level starts.

Fortunately there are some baddies that will make this a little harder to accomplish. The baddies are swarms of bees as well. If you touch an enemy swarm, a couple (or all) of your bees will be killed, that way your swarm decreases in size and will have less attacking power. It's possible to attack and kill the enemy swarm with an electric force-field. The force field needs to be recharged so you need to use it wisely.
You will die when all your bees are killed. Every new level you start with a renewed full sized swarm of bees.

Sound

Bleep bleep

Graphics

Well... not very good, but very clear sprites with no distractions (if you play the G7000)

Gameplay

I think it's a great short break game, that I tend to play a lot lately. Because the game will rapidly become harder to play, it's not boring and will not last for ages. You can finish one level in a couple of seconds, so very rapid gameplay. Even though the quality of sound is bad compared to more modern games, I prefer playing the game with the sound on. Guess I like the bleep, bleeps.
The game is really original and feels and plays fluid on the excellent o2em port from Spoyser.http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1840 The emulator has save states, great compatibility, it's fast and integrates well with gmenu2x.

Overall 8/10

Mark1970 made a nice video playing a couple of games on o2em. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-oWbORk44A
This video starts with The Killer Bees on G7400 (some other graphics, personally I prefer the G7000 version)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review, thanks!

(although maybe I am biased, eh?)

For those interested, I find the Odyssey2 (G7000) version more enjoyable than the Odyssey3 (G7400) versions, as the screen is far less cluttered and over busy.

purple_goat posted on Feb 3 2007 at 07:32 PM said:
is that like bloody bee on the mini game project?
The only thing the games got in common is the bee part :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back