The Next Gamepark Console

Instead of making a new handheld, how about modding the crap out of one? I'm surprised someone like Craig hasn't looked into this already. Replace the CPU in the GP32 with a faster one, like 300-400mhz, do the 32MB mod and a voltage mod. Also modify it to hold a more powerful Lithium-ion battery. Neo Geo would be possible then, not to mention all Emus would be full speed. He could sell them through his store. What do you all think? It is possible to do.

Instead of making a new handheld, how about modding the crap out of one? I'm surprised someone like Craig hasn't looked into this already. Replace the CPU in the GP32 with a faster one, like 300-400mhz, do the 32MB mod and a voltage mod. Also modify it to hold a more powerful Lithium-ion battery. Neo Geo would be possible then, not to mention all Emus would be full speed. He could sell them through his store. What do you all think? It is possible to do.

I think i read someone elses question about this and the response was that its no easy task to replace the arm cpu as its soldered on by a precision machine in a factory. I'd expect it'd probably cost to have someone do this as well as adding more memory. Thats not saying its not feasible, i have no idea, can anyone do this? Also we'd need to have everyone having it done to make it worthwhile creating any software for, a hefty task. If craig *could* have it done though and there was enough support for it, i'd buy one! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you added the same CPU but one that runs at a higher clockrate, or just volt mod it and add a heatsink, and also added the 32 megs, all existing Emus and programs should work, just alot faster. Not everyone would have to have it done or have one, but if you did you would have full speed emus, etc.

BTW, I'm very handy with a soldering iron. If someone supplied me with the Ram chips, I could easily replace those. I could do the volt mod also. And adding a heatsink is easy enough. And I bet you could wire up a GBA Lithium Ion battery pretty easily, and use the GBA to recharge it. You might have to cut the battery casing on the GP32 a little though.

I don't have a GP32 anymore, so can anyone tell me how fast the emus are on one overclocked to 200mhz or higher? Just how fast would it need to be to have snes and genesis full speed with sound?

Well you've kind of contradicted yourself there.

Ad new processor, add new ram, you've already got a brand new comsole,

all that remains is the gp32 sehell, but you'd probably need to change that to house the new processor.

i would buy a hacked to hell gp32
if it ran the same stuff as a reg gp32

actually i would kill a man for full speed snes with sound in my pocket

Well you've kind of contradicted yourself there.

Ad new processor, add new ram, you've already got a brand new comsole,

all that remains is the gp32 sehell, but you'd probably need to change that to house the new processor.
No, if you used a new processor the pin count and positioning would most likely be different, it can't be done. I was thinking of using the same processor rated to run at a higher clockspeed. That would increase the speed of everything and keep backward compatibilty. Or you could do a heavy volt mod and add a heatsink.

Back