The Second Run Of Pandora ?

paddy

Website
Visit site
Just wanted to know if there will be a second batch of pandora's any time soon after the release of the initial 4000 units
as i have read that craig didn't want to move to a second batch any time soon as he wanted to take care of any problems
that may occur on the first batch 4000.I would be more than happy to order right now so i can have one of the 4000 but
i doubt there are any left and hate to think it will be 6+months before being able to buy a second batch Pandora.

Any Ideas guys ?

They'll make it as soon as they can, which will be several months at the minimum, because of the lead time for ordering more processors and such.

Fucking unconfirmed: It might be 2011 for the second batch for all anybody know.
The first batch isn't even together yet. WE DO NOT KNOW WHEN THINGS WILL HAPPEN.

Craig said at one point that the lead-time on some of the parts for the second run is about 7 months (I can't remember which part, but you can search for it -- it's also on his twitter page). You'd probably be best to order from the first batch, if possible.

If its really as long as 6-7 months before the second batch then dont you think the pandora may well be quite outdated
by then ? i mean its already taken a long time and is still not a finnished product but near 2011 before a second batch
is simply not good enough.

Is this a business or a hobby becase last i remember was that the Pandora team put a hell load of their own money
into the kitty to get this off the ground but yet they are going to rest on their laurels keeping the first batchers happy
and waiting ! waiting for what might i ask ,perhaps for another more developed company to copy the device at
a much cheaper cost ? i can only imagine that the cost of the parts must be down over the year or so since initial
planning and with the current economic climate companies must be shouting out for business - cheap business.

I want to see the Pandora make a mark and not be a one off play thing for preorderers to look back on with wishes
that it became more.

skeezix said:
yay, Chip posted, been too long :)

jeff
i was thinking this! but then i haven't been trawling through the posts much lately and didnt wanna be wrong

wb chip

Last edited by a moderator:
paddy said:
If its really as long as 6-7 months before the second batch then dont you think the pandora may well be quite outdated
by then ?
No. In order for it to be outdated, something more powerful has to come along to challenge it. We are only just now seeing things come out which are comparable to it, and none of those compare in all ways. I doubt there will be anything comparable in a year. Yes, there will be better processors, but there are always better processors right around the corner. Unless something puts the better processor in a package that actually competes with the Pandora, it will still be relevant.
Consider the DS and PSP. They were "outdated" a long time ago, but today, years after release, they are still basically the same hardware. Even after updating, they didn't do anything significant to make them top of the line, and yet they're still serving their purposes quite suitably.
No, the Pandora won't be outdated, at least not until a major revision comes along in a few years and the Pandora 2 is produced.
To rephrase: something is only outdated when compared against something superior. I challenge that the feature set of the Pandora is sufficiently unique that no competition will actually arise to make it outdated.

Chip said:

Your reply there has long since been invalidated. We've been told 7 months lead time on parts that I can only assume won't be ordered until after this batch has shipped, because they probably need more preorder money to do so.

Dam ,i had just read that entire thred and was thinking 12-16 weeks for lead time on second batch parts
but Exophase says different.So the second batch is really not going to see light of day until a possible
promotion of the Pandora and would likely require pre-orderers to fund the production of more units and
i would also recon that the Pandora Team would at least require 1000 worth of preorders ? before going
for a second batch.

Yes i could be totaly wrong here but it doesnt look good to me ,all that steam in the begining but some
major funding might be needed to at least have 1000 - 2000 units built and ready for sale wth the idea
of making a profit from each unit for the second batch,unless all profits from the first batch go directly
into the second batch but i doubt the team will be making any profits from the first batch as those guys
have put everything into it.

paddy said:
If its really as long as 6-7 months before the second batch then dont you think the pandora may well be quite outdated by then ?
I won't consider the Pandora outdated until a piece of hardware comes out that fills three requirements:

1. Has more processing power.

2. Has to be an open project, i.e. no matter what Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft release it won't play emulators or be free/easy to develop for.

3. Has both gaming controls and a keyboard

The combination of those three requirements will give the Pandora a long life.

paddy said:
Dam ,i had just read that entire thred and was thinking 12-16 weeks for lead time on second batch parts
but Exophase says different.So the second batch is really not going to see light of day until a possible
promotion of the Pandora and would likely require pre-orderers to fund the production of more units and
i would also recon that the Pandora Team would at least require 1000 worth of preorders ? before going
for a second batch.
Craig suggested in one of his twitter posts that they had already ordered the parts with particularly long lead times a short while ago. As a result, the second batch is likely to be about 4 or 5 months after the first, instead of 6 or 7. And it will be 4000 units.

paddy said:
unless all profits from the first batch go directly into the second batch but i doubt the team will be making any profits from the first batch as those guys have put everything into it.
They invested all of their own money into development and production. Estimates are that they won't break even until the second batch is sold out, although I can't recall where I got that estimate from. It may have been yet another twitter post. At any rate, until they reach the turnaround point where all initial development costs are covered, there is no profit. Once they reach that point, however, they should be able to take the profits from the last batch (say batch 3) and start producing a more continuous stream.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50093-another-8000-nubs-to-go/

The nubs (at least) have a 28 week lead time, and have been ordered already for batch 2 by 22 October 2009 (according to Craigix)

Monk said:

http://www.gp32x.de...000-nubs-to-go/

The nubs (at least) have a 28 week lead time, and have been ordered already for batch 2 by 22 October 2009 (according to Craigix)

Okay, that's one part anyway. I remember hearing that there was something else with a similar lead time but I don't have anything concrete, anyone know?

WizardStan said:
No. In order for it to be outdated, something more powerful has to come along to challenge it. We are only just now seeing things come out which are comparable to it, and none of those compare in all ways. I doubt there will be anything comparable in a year. Yes, there will be better processors, but there are always better processors right around the corner. Unless something puts the better processor in a package that actually competes with the Pandora, it will still be relevant.
Consider the DS and PSP. They were "outdated" a long time ago, but today, years after release, they are still basically the same hardware. Even after updating, they didn't do anything significant to make them top of the line, and yet they're still serving their purposes quite suitably.
No, the Pandora won't be outdated, at least not until a major revision comes along in a few years and the Pandora 2 is produced.
To rephrase: something is only outdated when compared against something superior. I challenge that the feature set of the Pandora is sufficiently unique that no competition will actually arise to make it outdated.
Very well put!

The DS actually has less processing power than just about every phone I know of. Certainly doesn't stop it!

Could be the SOC?

WizardStan said:
Transmition said:
So, if I wanted to order a Pandora from the second batch, I would not get it sooner then six months from now?
I know that you will likely refer me to the search section. However, "second batch" brings me to this thread.
Yeah, we only know because of statements made by CraigX on the forum here.
There's a 6 month waiting time for the OMAP chip from TI. It's the same for everyone at the moment.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50207-word-on-the-mobos/page__st__15

(tho Stan isn't a member of OpenPandora AFAIK he doesn't come across as one of the, erm, more extreme members here - I'd tend to believe him unless my own memory disagreed. He cites MWeston as the source later on).

Monk said:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=62&t=50207&qpid=768082
Borked link there?

oops! Apologies, fixed now with:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50207-word-on-the-mobos/page__st__15

Ta :)

Monk said:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50093-another-8000-nubs-to-go/

Those were for batch 2 Pandoras? I assumed they were for icontrolpad...

Back