Themes And Icons

There are some really nice themes out there for XFCE, but i'm not sure if they'll work in the Pandora firmware. I've tested the following in Xubuntu, to great results:

New Wave

Ubuntu_New_Wave_theme_File%20_Browser.png

Dust

dust-0917-screenshot-preview_thumb[1].jpg

Shiki Colors

4324258651_dfa8849591.jpg

Also, how are themes and icons installed on a Pandora? With Linux, I normally have to copy the files to /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons. Will we need to copy them to the NAND?

Mithrildor said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSjV9cRAKfM

I hope that answers your question

Not really. The above themes have additional dependencies I think, and the video makes no mention of how to install themes. But thanks for the effort!

For example, Shiki needs Murrine?

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
Mithrildor said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSjV9cRAKfM

I hope that answers your question

Not really. The above themes have additional dependencies I think, and the video makes no mention of how to install themes. But thanks for the effort!

For example, Shiki needs Murrine?
GTK+ themes are installed by dropping their folders in ~/.themes (for the local user) or /usr/share/themes (for themes shared between all users as the name implies).
Both of these folders are on the NAND, unfortunately; use symlinks if you don't want to waste space, or mount your home directory on a SD card etc.

Murrine is in the Ångström repos so you can just do "ipkg install gtk-engine-murrine" to get all of your Murrinas working.

(EDIT: changed "opkg" → "ipkg" typo... Also, I hate these edit tags; why isn't the Pandora Community on Google Wave where you can view the edit history of everything?)

dflemstr said:
GTK+ themes are installed by dropping their folders in ~/.themes (for the local user) or /usr/share/themes (for themes shared between all users as the name implies).
Both of these folders are on the NAND, unfortunately; use symlinks if you don't want to waste space, or mount your home directory on a SD card etc.
I'm almost certain the directories are configurable. It should be possible, in theory, to tell it to also look at a directory on the SD card for the icons and stuff. Of course that means the SD card needs to remain in the slot, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, not with two slots.

WizardStan said:
dflemstr said:
I'm almost certain the directories are configurable. It should be possible, in theory, to tell it to also look at a directory on the SD card for the icons and stuff. Of course that means the SD card needs to remain in the slot, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, not with two slots.
Oh, right, settings, forgot about those... But changing an env var will also force you to mutate NAND ;) (talking from a purists perspective)

Anyways, GTK will detect when a theme goes missing and cleanly fall back on another theme (not really; parts of the old theme that can be salvaged from memory are still kept and a Frankenstein theme is made) so no worries.

dflemstr said:
Both of these folders are on the NAND, unfortunately;

I appreciate you explaining this, but if you read my post you'll know I was already aware!
:p

The symlink idea isn't bad, and glad to know that Murrine is in the repos. Could it be included in the next firmware update (if it's not a huge package)?

What about icons? They tend to symlink each other already. Can you symlink a symlink?

SomeGuy99 said:
I appreciate you explaining this, but if you read my post you'll know I was already aware!
Yeah, I'm imagining that this subforum will become kinda like a help desk for newcomers, so explicit explanations shouldn't hurt.

SomeGuy99 said:
What about icons? They tend to symlink each other already. Can you symlink a symlink?
You can symlink a hardlink that hardlinks a symlink, and create a gazillion symlinks on top of that. Just don't create any loops, or links that point into emptiness, and Tux will be happy.

dflemstr said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Yeah, I'm imagining that this subforum will become kinda like a help desk for newcomers, so explicit explanations shouldn't hurt.

Good thinking.

Murrine is small, less than 80k. Don't know about the dependencies though (it has a lot).

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=gtk-engine-murrine

To save people having to delve in the command line (I assume you need root to access /usr/share in the firmware?) maybe a quick GUI app could be knocked up to import themes and icons?

All it would have to do, I suppose, is create the needed symlinks on the NAND and copy the files to a specific folder on the SD (or the user specifies), maybe even it's own appdata folder?

would love to make an icon pack... does angstrom support png icons or just .ico? is it just a case of rick clicking and changing the icon from the shortcut/applications properties?

Icons - With Linux, can't you just use any supported extension?

With LXDE (Debian for ARM) I can use bmp, png, jpg, ico and possibly more.
I am playing with the start menu icons.

The .desktop spec says that you *have* to use either PNG, XPM or SVG images. ICO is *not* supported anywhere I think and it should never be supported since it's a horrible format ;)

Icons are stored in "/usr/share/icons" or "~/.icons" and have the structure:
Code:
<theme>/<size>/<kind>/<long-name>.<ext>
Where:
  • theme: The name of the theme, may be any string that doesn't contain "/" afaik.
  • size: One of "8x8 16x16 22x22 24x24 32x32 48x48 64x64 128x128 256x256 scalable" (the scalable folder may only contain SVG images)
  • kind: One of "actions animations apps categories devices emblems emotes mimetypes places status" (and some more I think; "official" FDF kinds/contexts are: "Actions, Applications, Devices, FileSystems, MimeTypes")
  • long-name: The icon's identifier, always lower-case and dash-separated.
  • ext: One of "png xpm svg svgz" (svgz == gzipped SVG)
The names of "size" and "kind" folders aren't set in stone; you may change them but must then also update the "index.theme" file in the root of your icon theme (see any icon theme as an example of what I mean):
Code:
[48x48/status]
Context=Status
Size=48
Type=Fixed

[256x256/actions]
Context=Actions
Size=256
MinSize=56
MaxSize=512
Type=Scalable

Pretty basic stuff. Oh and also - there is a fall back chain in the icon theme system, so you can create icon themes that add some icons or else fall back on other icon sets if a specific icon can't be found.

Applications load icons by name, never by file path, so e.g. the icon "preferences-desktop-font-installer" might refer to "/usr/share/icons/oxygen/scalable/apps/preferences-desktop-font-installer.svgz" or "~/.icons/foobar/16x16/apps/preferences-desktop-font-installer.png" or whatever; the application will choose an icon of appropriate size etc. depending on the context.

Read more about the standard here: http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

borgqueenx said:
I want a windows vista/xp/seven look :)
is it also possible to run a mp4 on background?
Possibly, but why would you want to? It would just be a waste of battery/cpu.

borgqueenx said:
I want a windows vista/xp/seven look :)
is it also possible to run a mp4 on background?

Here's one I made earlier:

2ypme1e.png

The iconset is called Gnome XP.

dflemstr said:
The .desktop spec says that you *have* to use either PNG, XPM or SVG images. ICO is *not* supported anywhere I think and it should never be supported since it's a horrible format ;)

Icons are stored in "/usr/share/icons" or "~/.icons" and have the structure:
Code:
<theme>/<size>/<kind>/<long-name>.<ext>
Where:
  • theme: The name of the theme, may be any string that doesn't contain "/" afaik.
  • size: One of "8x8 16x16 22x22 24x24 32x32 48x48 64x64 128x128 256x256 scalable" (the scalable folder may only contain SVG images)
  • kind: One of "actions animations apps categories devices emblems emotes mimetypes places status" (and some more I think; "official" FDF kinds/contexts are: "Actions, Applications, Devices, FileSystems, MimeTypes")
  • long-name: The icon's identifier, always lower-case and dash-separated.
  • ext: One of "png xpm svg svgz" (svgz == gzipped SVG)
The names of "size" and "kind" folders aren't set in stone; you may change them but must then also update the "index.theme" file in the root of your icon theme (see any icon theme as an example of what I mean):
Code:
[48x48/status]
 Context=Status
 Size=48
 Type=Fixed

[256x256/actions]
 Context=Actions
 Size=256
 MinSize=56
 MaxSize=512
 Type=Scalable

Pretty basic stuff. Oh and also - there is a fall back chain in the icon theme system, so you can create icon themes that add some icons or else fall back on other icon sets if a specific icon can't be found.

Applications load icons by name, never by file path, so e.g. the icon "preferences-desktop-font-installer" might refer to "/usr/share/icons/oxygen/scalable/apps/preferences-desktop-font-installer.svgz" or "~/.icons/foobar/16x16/apps/preferences-desktop-font-installer.png" or whatever; the application will choose an icon of appropriate size etc. depending on the context.

Read more about the standard here: http://standards.fre...pec-latest.html

cool thanks for the info :)

Back