Things we could fix

stustaff

Ok so I started this to keep track of setting up my new pandora and highlighting/recording where anything is out of date or doesn't make sense.

Then if I get the right info I can make the changes or someone can anyway.

it's a noble effort i'd say, though people still won't read the damn FAQ if it was stamped on the pandoar itself...in red lettering :D

i'll admit some form of extensive guide for all the common issues is a good idea

Download the latest Hotfix

This step is necessary to ensure than any problems which have been fixed since your Pandora was shipped can be corrected. We refer to Hotfix4 here, although it is likely that Hotfix 5 will be released in September 2010. Always use the latest one. An automated process is being worked on. See the picture for the correct directory structure as seen from a windows PC.

Find an SD or SDHC card.

If not connected to WiFi, do this on another computer

Click the blue globe icon (3rd from left)

type open-pandora.org into the address bar

Click on Support NOW CALLED "COMMUNITY AND SUPPORT"

Click the Click here to download HotFix Package 4 link for the latest HotFix Package (It's located under the "HotFix Package 4 - for Pandora OS Release 2010-05 (Zaxxon)"). (31-8-2010 - Hotfix 4: [1]) THIS LINK DOES NOT EXIST INSTEAD CLICK ON "UPDATES AND FIRMWARE"

Select save as

Scroll the left hand list down, select the name of your SD card or mmcblkxxx if your card is not labeled.

Click create folder and enter then name pandora

Double click on the pandora folder (right nub up once)

Click create folder and enter then name apps

Double click on the apps folder

Click save

Wait for the download to finish

Put the SD card in your pandora if done on a PC

Press the pandora button in between the nubs (short press)

Use the D-pad to scroll up to System then right, and down to HotFix 4 Installer. Press enter I AM NOW STUCH THER IS NO "HOTFIX 4 INSTALLER TO SELECT"

Follow the prompts and enter your password when requested

it's a noble effort i'd say, though people still won't read the damn FAQ if it was stamped on the pandoar itself...in red lettering :D

i'll admit some form of extensive guide for all the common issues is a good idea

This is more in terms of updating and fixing the existing stuff, I'll do it as I go.

Perfect and this exactly the sort of thing I think it's worth capturing as it will save it being asked a few hundred times.
No it won't. This information already exists. Much of it is in the manual, others in FAQs stickied at the top of the help forum, the rest of it on the wiki (which I'm pretty sure is referred to in the manual). I understand you've got the best of intentions, but if people aren't reading the manual, sticky threads, and the wiki that already exist, what makes you think they'll read your thread?

No it won't. This information already exists. Much of it is in the manual, others in FAQs stickied at the top of the help forum, the rest of it on the wiki (which I'm pretty sure is referred to in the manual). I understand you've got the best of intentions, but if people aren't reading the manual, sticky threads, and the wiki that already exist, what makes you think they'll read your thread?
I assume his idea is to catch things in the wiki/FAQ which are wrong or misleading and then report them someway?

Yeh I think you entirely missed the point... Meandu229 has it right, this is somewhere to capture errors in the wikis etc!

I read the wiki and guides! So someone is...

That info in particular was from the QuickStart! I put in bold why as a new owner of a pandora I couldn't get stuff to work. I'm not creating anything I was giving feedback about errors on the existing wiki, guides etc.

Then keep it all in here and pass on to relevant people so it can get fixed/updated.

Yeh I think you entirely missed the point... Meandu229 has it right, this is somewhere to capture errors in the wikis etc!

I read the wiki and guides! So someone is...

That info in particular was from the QuickStart! I put in bold why as a new owner of a pandora I couldn't get stuff to work. I'm not creating anything I was giving feedback about errors on the existing wiki, guides etc.

Then keep it all in here and pass on to relevant people so it can get fixed/updated.

He was a bit defensive because, we have seen so many of these threads, and none helped much.

If you found some errors in the wiki, feel free to register and update it :)

He was a bit defensive because, we have seen so many of these threads, and none helped much.

If you found some errors in the wiki, feel free to register and update it :)

Yeh fair point. I will do that however sometimes I'm unsure about editing because maybe it's ME that's wrong...

On this note, how do you install stuff? Copy pnds to memory card but when i double click does nothing.

***Figured it, just had to create the pandora desktop folder. TY

Last edited by a moderator:
On this note, how do you install stuff? Copy pnds to memory card but when i double click does nothing.

I have done the same thing!

Seems like you don't install them!

Just put the PND where you want it to appear and then run it from there!

Eg

SD card >pandora>desktop with your pnd in that folder the apps icon will be on the desktop.

Yeah, ED did a video on installing PNDs. From my memory of watching it, I think you just need to put them in the special folders on an SD card and they will appear in your menu, or on the desktop depending on which folder you put them in. I don't think you can run a PND by finding it in the file browser and clicking on it (though that probably wouldn't be a bad idea thinking about it).

They can't just go to the root (although there was a lot of discussion of doing that)

create a directory called "pandora" on your SD card, and in that create three other directories: desktop, menu, and apps. Put PNDs into those. Put into desktop, and they will appear on the desktop. Put in menu, they will appear in the menu. Put in apps, they will appear in both places. Save data goes into a fourth directory that automatically gets created called "appdata". For the most part you won't have to worry about appdata, but some programs expect you to put stuff there. They'll tell you when they do, so don't think about it too much.

There is a fifth directory you can also create: mmenu. PNDs put into mmenu will only appear when using the minimenu frontend. Minimenu will also pickup desktop, menu, and apps directories, but XFCE will ignore the mmenu directory.

Everything you could want to know about running PNDs is here on the Wiki

This page is full of even more useful information.

They can't just go to the root (although there was a lot of discussion of doing that)

create a directory called "pandora" on your SD card, and in that create three other directories: desktop, menu, and apps. Put PNDs into those. Put into desktop, and they will appear on the desktop. Put in menu, they will appear in the menu. Put in apps, they will appear in both places. Save data goes into a fourth directory that automatically gets created called "appdata". For the most part you won't have to worry about appdata, but some programs expect you to put stuff there. They'll tell you when they do, so don't think about it too much.

There is a fifth directory you can also create: mmenu. PNDs put into mmenu will only appear when using the minimenu frontend. Minimenu will also pickup desktop, menu, and apps directories, but XFCE will ignore the mmenu directory.

Everything you could want to know about running PNDs is here on the Wiki

This page is full of even more useful information.
just for your information, there is now a 6th directory that can be created there : midi. My timidity midi installer does install midi sound sample in there if you specify sd-card. But once again nothing to worry about.

Back