Time for an Updated Review.

#1 GameMaster

Website
Visit site
Well I've had my replacement unit for a week now and it is definitely better than my first, Although the only problem with the first was the second SD card slot not working. The Casing I would have to say is just how it looks in the pics. Meaning that it's strong and has a nice finish. All buttons work on mine, at first the A button was a little squishy but after use it is now as the others which means that they aren't real squishy but at the same time they are not to stiff and don't make a lot of clicking noise. The D-pad is one of the best I've used if not the best one. The nubs are nice and work great, I was surprised at how well they actually worked as the mouse. The key board works great too I have almost gotten to the point to where I don't have to watch the keys when I type, so you guys did a great job on the keyboard setup. Design wise when I started using it I was thinking man this is a little awkward but you just need to find out what the most comfortable position is for you to hold it. The screen is perfect not to much ghosting, there is a little, but I guess after having a PSP I have gotten to the point to where I notice the slightest bit, so some of you might not notice it and some may but it is no where as bad as the PSP. The speakers are very nice for a handheld console the only problem I have with the sound is that when I have headphones on I barely turn my volume wheel up and it starts blaring. I turned the mixer down some which helped with some things but most games and emulators it didn't help so if any one could help me with that I'd appreciate it. Battery life is awesome screen set to 50%-75% brightness and getting 12 hours out of it. I had problems with the WiFi for some reason but managed to get it working after switching to WPA2. I had it set to WEP but no matter what I could not get it to work so if anyone got it connected using WEP I'd like to know how :huh: next I tried WPA but it still wouldn't connect finally I tried WPA2 and success. :D (the reason I'd like to know about the WEP is because now I can't get my Wii connected which means no COD :( ) Software wise I'd say this thing is on it's way to a great future just from the changes from 4 to 5 it has come a long way, and games and apps are coming out everyday for it so nothing to worry about there. The only thing I'd like to see for the Pandora's OS is a charging OS but putting on standby isn't too bad, but I'm sure it would do better with a separate OS for that. Mini Menu works great too but I like having a full desktop. So all together I'd have to say that the Pandora is exactly what I was looking for in a handheld and it was definitely worth the wait. Pandora team you guys are doing a great job on this so keep it up. ;)

If anyone has info on the WiFi and the volume control just leave a comment about it thanks ahead of time. :)

Edit: Just ignore the stuff dealing with the WiFi I got it fixed it seems that the last time my firmware to my router was updated was back in 2006. :rolleyes: So everything is running fine now with WPA2. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the review! I have my Pandora already but I love reading other people's impressions! Also, I agree with most of your observations. Especially about the DPad quality and how well the nubs work as a mouse!

As for your wifi issue, I had a similar issue trying to set up for WEP, which persisted in my case until I changed the broadcast channel on the router, and rebooted the Pandora. I'm not sure which one of those actually solved the issue (I did them both at once) but now it connects fine.

Hope this helps.

- trix

Back