Tv-out Is Crashing My Gp2x

MrVaderSir

Still Fresh
I recently got hold of a TV-Out cable for my GP2X. It's awesome (with a few minor qualms - the female audio plugs and s-video only come as somewhat of a shock) and plays games, music etc perfectly well.

However, as soon as I try to play a video I get one of two things:

1) The GP2X will shut itself down, despite there being a power lead plugged in and the power switch being on, or

2) The video will go grey and scrambled and the GP2X will crash (but remin powered and on).

Does anyone know what is causing this? I have tried different videos (all of which have worked on the GP2X) but nothing has worked on the TV :(

Cheers guys, and sorry if I missed the answer to this in my search :p

MrVaderSir posted on Mar 18 2006 at 09:20 PM said:
I recently got hold of a TV-Out cable for my GP2X. It's awesome (with a few minor qualms - the female audio plugs and s-video only come as somewhat of a shock) and plays games, music etc perfectly well.
female audio sockets are pretty much standard, you'd have a job finding female-male audio cables. And what's wrong with s-video? Would you prefer sub-quality composite or (cough) rf?
However, as soon as I try to play a video I get one of two things:

1) The GP2X will shut itself down, despite there being a power lead plugged in and the power switch being on, or

2) The video will go grey and scrambled and the GP2X will crash (but remin powered and on).
Both of these sound like not enough power. What rating is your power supply, and is it regulated or un-regulated? I can run mine on a 3V 1A regulated supply (should be 3.3V, but my psu goes from 3 to 4.5 and I'm not risking it ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
paeryn posted on Mar 19 2006 at 12:49 AM said:
female audio sockets are pretty much standard, you'd have a job finding female-male audio cables. And what's wrong with s-video? Would you prefer sub-quality composite or (cough) rf?

Ok, good point on the female audio sockets with regards to extension leads, but I've never owned a TV with s-video so i need a converter and extension lead for that :(

paeryn posted on Mar 19 2006 at 12:49 AM said:
Both of these sound like not enough power. What rating is your power supply, and is it regulated or un-regulated? I can run mine on a 3V 1A regulated supply (should be 3.3V, but my psu goes from 3 to 4.5 and I'm not risking it ;) )

My power is 3v and I think the next step up is 5v so again, I'm not risking it. Having said that, I had accidentally ran it at 15v and the only problems were that the screen was very pale and it got very hot. I have no idea how long it had been like this (it was set to 3v when I plugged it in).

Anyway, I might try it at 5v and see what happens.

5V? :eek:

1A+ PSUs are recommended - the one GP2X.co.uk sell is rated at 1.2A at 3V and works fine. Regulated supplies are a better bet for reliability too.

fishybawb posted on Mar 19 2006 at 10:38 AM said:
5V? :eek:

1A+ PSUs are recommended - the one GP2X.co.uk sell is rated at 1.2A at 3V and works fine. Regulated supplies are a better bet for reliability too.

Yeah, 5v wasn't very good... it runs a hell of a lot sweeter on 3v but would a .3v difference really crash my gp2x every time I watched a movie anyway?

Could it be a codec issue, a dinemsions issue, a PAL/NTSC issue (I've tried both)?

:(

MrVaderSir posted on Mar 19 2006 at 03:41 PM said:
Yeah, 5v wasn't very good... it runs a hell of a lot sweeter on 3v but would a .3v difference really crash my gp2x every time I watched a movie anyway?

Could it be a codec issue, a dinemsions issue, a PAL/NTSC issue (I've tried both)?
It depends, how much current can it provide? If it's less than 1A then as soon as you try watching video through tv-out (2nd proc & tv encoder will ramp up the power requirements), your psu may not be able to feed enough power.
Also if it's cheap and/or unregulated, the sudden increase in power might cause a momentary drop in voltage just long enough for the cpu to loose track of what it's doing and leave it in a random state.

Back