Uae4all Amiga Emulator

skaboy

Still Fresh
Dear all,

Firstly, apologies for persisting in my questioning on how to find the Amiga Kick.rom: I'm now back after a 48-hour suspension from this board and I hope I didn't get anyone else into trouble. Thank you to those that PMd me.

In the hope that I can still get help here, I now have the kick.rom: it's kick13, so 1.3, and it's 512kb in size. I have renamed it KICK.ROM, as instructed in the UAE4All readme.

As far as I can tell, I have all files in the right place on my SD (see below) and the emulator works but when asked to "select image disk", I select a ROM (downloaded from planetemu.net: I have Pinball Dreams, Illusions and Fantasies, all of which I own the originals of) and the emulator continues to ask me to "select image disk".

I leave the "Emu Bias", Frameskip" etc. settings at their default and when I select "Run", the GP2X appears to be loading something but the screen just turns black, then grey, then white. Basically, the emu works until a ROM is selected.

One thing I've noticed is that when selecting a ROM, "#DIR#" is displayed on the right hand side of the GP screen, as though the ROM doesn't have an associated directory. It's as though the emu can't load a ROM.

I'm wondering if perhaps I have something in the wrong place, despite following the Readme, unless I'm mistaken. My files are on the SD as follows:

SD Root: GP2XAmiga (folder: my own name, to help me keep organised)/uae4all(folder); copying(folder); docs(folder); data(folder); roms(folder); KICK.ROM; Readme_gp2x; uae4all.gpe

The "Copying" folder is empty, the "data" folder contains what seem to be images and the "docs" folder contains further folders and files.

The "roms" folder contains my actual ROMS (.adf files; all unzipped: when left zipped, the emu wouldn't even load them to give me the grey screen). Is this "roms" folder in the right place: alongside KICK.ROM and uae4all.gpe, all within the 2uae4all" folder, itself within my "GP2XAmiga" folder on the root of the SD?

As before, any help gratefully received.

(Apologies for length).

skaboy posted on Mar 17 2006 at 09:51 PM said:
In the hope that I can still get help here, I now have the kick.rom: it's kick13, so 1.3, and it's 512kb in size. I have renamed it KICK.ROM, as instructed in the UAE4All readme.
To be fair, it says to make sure it's called kick.rom. The case of the filename does actually matter.

I don't think that's your problem, however.

When you highlight "Select image disk", then press "B", you're taken to the directory browser. You'll be in the directory that you put uae4all.gpe in... now see below.

As far as I can tell, I have all files in the right place on my SD (see below) and the emulator works but when asked to "select image disk", I select a ROM (downloaded from planetemu.net: I have Pinball Dreams, Illusions and Fantasies, all of which I own the originals of) and the emulator continues to ask me to "select image disk".

I leave the "Emu Bias", Frameskip" etc. settings at their default and when I select "Run", the GP2X appears to be loading something but the screen just turns black, then grey, then white. Basically, the emu works until a ROM is selected.

One thing I've noticed is that when selecting a ROM, "#DIR#" is displayed on the right hand side of the GP screen, as though the ROM doesn't have an associated directory. It's as though the emu can't load a ROM.
I think what you're doing is not selecting the adf file properly (more than likely you're trying to do it by highlighting the directory that the adf file is contained within and hitting Start or X). You must hit the 'B' button to select the adf file... Start will just cancel your browsing and take you back to the main menu, X will put it in the wrong drive.

I don't believe that you're actually going into the directory with the adf file in it either: the #DIR# entry means that it's a directory. Again, pressing the 'B' button will select the directory and browse you into it.

Probably you unzipped the adfs preserving the path within the zip file, which would have put your adf inside a subdirectory of your roms dir. That's fine, but you DO need to navigate to it properly.

Hope this helps... any further problems, please address them to this thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=25402

as there are more people to help you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done everything suggested to me, read and re-read the readme and still nothing.

Selecting a ROM with the "B" key doesn't put a ROM name in the "Select ROM" field within the emu and when "Run" is selected, I still get the black, then grey, then white screen. If I press "Start", I get pictures of an Amiga mouse and Joystick.

Any further ideas would be welcome.

skaboy posted on Mar 18 2006 at 04:48 PM said:
I've done everything suggested to me, read and re-read the readme and still nothing.
Read what I wrote above again. I don't think you're selecting the ADF file properly.

Selecting a ROM with the "B" key doesn't put a ROM name in the "Select ROM" field
It's not supposed to.

within the emu and when "Run" is selected, I still get the black, then grey, then white screen. If I press "Start", I get pictures of an Amiga mouse and Joystick.
Leave the start button alone for now.

Go to the "Select image disk" menu item, press B, go to the roms directory, press B, go to the Pinball Dreams directory (for example), press B, go to the adf for disk 1 (the first entry in the directory) and press B. The emulator will now return to the main screen, and it's ready to run (the first Pinball Dreams disk is in drive 0:). Go to the "Run" menu item and press B.

There's nothing I can really add to help you.

I'm having the same problem as you.. I get a black screen when I select the .adf file (by pressing B) and then from the menu selecting Run.. I have followed the installation instructions precisely.. What am I missing?

Hi
what console do you have ?
On my F200 (with firm 4.1.1) it's the same...i think it's the firm revision...in fact with version 4.0.2 UAE4ALL do work...
Can someone please fix this ?

I have a GP2x-Wiz.. Just bought it. Firmware is version 1.1.0 Linux 2.6.24 rev: 255

Does it need updating or something? Payback demo doesnt work either, just brings me back to the system menu

Andy G said:
I have a GP2x-Wiz.. Just bought it. Firmware is version 1.1.0 Linux 2.6.24 rev: 255

Does it need updating or something? Payback demo doesnt work either, just brings me back to the system menu

A Wiz...ok
I think be better to post on relative section of the Wiz...anyway you have the latest version of firmware (i think)...
About the game ...maybe Payback isn't supported....i don't know ...try to ask on Wiz section..

Regards

Hi Farox, thanks for your reply.. My question is initially about UAE is this not the right thread? My apologies if not.

Any ideas about the black screen i get in uae?

Andy G said:
Any ideas about the black screen i get in uae?
Have you downloaded UAE for Wiz ? http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,122

You can't use UAE for GP2X (F100/F200). For the same reason, Payback doesn't work on the Wiz (there isn't a Wiz port/conversion).

GP2X Wiz archive: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi

Thanks Mr 2X.. I have since realised that some roms work and others dont.. Its a shame it doesnt support AGA as well

Back