Ubuntu 11.10 for ARM/OMAP3

lomaxx

I've decided to give this a try:

http://cdimage.ubunt.../11.10/release/

There is a "Texas Instruments OMAP3 preinstalled desktop image" and naive as I am I thought "we got arm, we got omap3, this might run." ;) Here is even support for SGX mentioned:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/OMAP

which is why everything sounds too nice to withstand.

So i downloaded the image and copied it to a 4GB-sd-card. When i now boot the card by holding the right shoulder-button, the sd-card does really boot, but hangs after a while. I guess due to a wrong kernel. I blindly tested the beagleboard-kernel mentioned at the end of this site. But that didn't work.

But since an uImage file is mentioned i thought it might be possible to replace the whole thing with a Pandora-kernel from the git-repository? Especially the vmlinuz-file that fits with the uImage is needed.

Is there a way to compile a kernel-version in order to get both? Which kernel-branch would be recommended? Or is the vmlinuz-file already available for the kernel used in HF6 and there is a chance that it's compatible with the Ubuntu-image?

Or am I again trying something impossible?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think ubuntu uses 3.x Kernel.

Not sure, if it will work with the older pandorakernel, but it would be nice to know, why ubuntu doesn't boot on pandora sinxe 9.04 or something...

ED tried this a while back, they have pandora board support compiled in, but panel driver is left out for some reason (or something like that preventing display to start), so you can't get working display.

I take it that having Ubuntu 11.10 on the Pandora is going to be more complicated than recompiling a kernel then - or someone would have done it already?

Just thought of something - would the display driver from Pandebian be able to be crossed into the ARM Pandora and compiled to make a working setup?

I'm not sure where this gets us in the end - but it's an interesting exercise.

Not sure. I only got very limited, partial knowledge of stuff and mostly do things by trying them out.

Back