Ubuntu (etc) as a means to playing unported games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandoraNoHako

Still Fresh
So we already saw Ubuntu running on the Pandora and being used to execute some linux software.
And there are already a lot of tools and games which have been ported to linux but are still unlikely to get a special Pandora port, due to their oldness, unimportance, closed or missing source etc. Although I have to admit that the rush on the the first batch preorders gave me some hope that a lot of software will eventually be ported, there is just bound to be a lot of things that will remain unported. So being able to use the standard linux versions would greatly enhance the already massive library, right?

So what are the chances those large-scale distros could be used to play some decent linux games? I know there won't be much RAM left with an OS running in the background, but consider some games like these: Text Adventures (the non-frotz freeware ones), Visual Novels (those short freeware ones), Roguelikes (especially closed source ADoM), Cave Story, Dwarf Fortress, Stepmania, MUD clients!!

Do I have a reason to get even more excited now?

No, sorry, it doesn't work like that.

You can think of the OS as a negotiator - it facilitates communication between the app and the hardware, but it doesn't act as a translator. If they don't speak the same language than nothing is going to happen.

In this case, this isn't the x86 desktop version of Ubuntu - it's a modified version made to run on an ARM processor.

:(
But what about running Firefox and Gimp in Ubuntu? Were they also 'modified versions' of the regular linux programms?

:confused:
I guess this makes this thread deleteworthy then...

So in the end we can only try harder to give the Pandora an awesome and epic start to net in as many developers and porters as possible...

Yes, they were.

Closed source programs, like ADoM, are out (though you could always just send Thomas Biskup an email, he's a pretty nice guy). On the other hand, for the obscure open source projects it'd be pretty nice if someone could write up a little guide on how to port them over. I understand that it isn't difficult and it'd be sweet if everyone could just do that for whatever little project they fancied. I picture that as being a good learning experience.

shmuck said:
On the other hand, for the obscure open source projects it'd be pretty nice if someone could write up a little guide on how to port them over. I understand that it isn't difficult and it'd be sweet if everyone could just do that for whatever little project they fancied. I picture that as being a good learning experience.

Tutorials would be nice indeed. Considering that Pandora is already more of a community project than any other device including the GP2X before, maybe we could recruit the mass of passive users to do some ports, giving the skilled people more time to actually develop new software. If every Pandora owner wrote a single port for one game or application, we could already create an awesome library together. And if porting isn't too easy, it would also educate them into more active members of society. You know what? I believe the Pandora could actually be a big step in some kind of OpenSource Revolution. I'm already getting shivers down my spine...

AND SO I SAY TO THEE:
ASK NOT WHAT THE PANDORA CAN DO FOR THEE, BUT ASK WHAT THOU CANST DO FOR THE PANDORA!!

You really can't write a guide on how to port applications. It's like trying to write a guide for sex, it doesn't work and you won't know what it's like and what to do until you actually get in there.

PoisonedV said:
You really can't write a guide on how to port applications. It's like trying to write a guide for sex, it doesn't work and you won't know what it's like and what to do until you actually get in there.

PandoraNoHako said:
PoisonedV said:

Ok, so MAYBE you can write a guide to sex. :D

1. Ubuntu is put on the Pandora; Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian.
2. Nearly all of Debian's packages are available for ARM.
3. ???
4. Profit!

OP's question was answered, nowhere to go with the topic.

If you're looking for guides on coding/porting, there are already threads on this topic.

Locking in 3... 2... 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back