Ubuntu Light, Or Perhaps Just Unity.

DAP

I did a search, did not find any mention of Ubuntu Light here.

I saw this article:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/05/exclusive-hands-on-with-ubuntus-new-unity-netbook-shell.ars
Thought Ubuntu Light might be a good distribution for Pandora.

Flame away :)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54651-debian-in-an-extend/

Already run Ubuntu on mine... but the interface for this looks nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I get mine, I will try out Backtrack 4 (based on ubuntu)

Also, you should try out Puppy Linux. Its pretty good. I run it on my 500Mhz, 512MB RAM Sony Vaio PCG-R505.

Com64 said:
Also, you should try out Puppy Linux. Its pretty good. I run it on my 500Mhz, 512MB RAM Sony Vaio PCG-R505.

Pentium II 266, 128MB RAM Compaq Armada. Guess what runs even faster on it? XP.

SomeGuy99 said:
Com64 said:

I don't know, but my vaio runs better under puppy linux. maybe I hade a virus or something?

Com64 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Com64 said:

I don't know, but my vaio runs better under puppy linux. maybe I hade a virus or something?
Why not turn off your virus protection and fire walls on XP and see how it runs, that is probably what is slowing it down. Oh wait, then you would get owned. . .

second exodous said:
Com64 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Com64 said:

Why not turn off your virus protection and fire walls on XP and see how it runs, that is probably what is slowing it down. Oh wait, then you would get owned. . .

yeah my very first laptop was basically butt-raped by eight viruses/trojans at once. I had to do a COMPLETE re-installation of windows, and format the hard disc in the process. The registry was so messed up, that only jibberish was displayed in title bars, and every 2 minutes a suspiscious web page would pop-up telling me to install this software that searches your computer for adult videos and deletes them for you. Thats what happens when you leave your computer on at night to download music via torrents.

MORE ON TOPIC:

I don't think Ubuntu would be much an advantage over Angstrom, actually. I'd like to see someone run FreeDOS on their pandora just to try it out, though. no harm in trying Ubuntu or anything out :) the pandora has an "unbrickable design"

Com64 said:
second exodous said:
Com64 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Com64 said:

yeah my very first laptop was basically butt-raped by eight viruses/trojans at once. I had to do a COMPLETE re-installation of windows, and format the hard disc in the process. The registry was so messed up, that only jibberish was displayed in title bars, and every 2 minutes a suspiscious web page would pop-up telling me to install this software that searches your computer for adult videos and deletes them for you. Thats what happens when you leave your computer on at night to download music via torrents.

MORE ON TOPIC:

I don't think Ubuntu would be much an advantage over Angstrom, actually. I'd like to see someone run FreeDOS on their pandora just to try it out, though. no harm in trying Ubuntu or anything out :) the pandora has an "unbrickable design"
Yeah, back when W2K was nice and shiny I kept getting owned no matter what I did so thats when I dumped windows. I don't use computers for work though, so I'm not held back by that. . .

Anyway, if Ubuntu makes a ARM version that runs on the Pandora I'll try, or if Mint makes a ARM distro I'll be more likely to try. Right now though I don't see Ubuntu having a well supported ARM distro, not as good as x86, but their G.U.I.s might be handy. You don't need to use Ubuntu to get the benefits, I'm sure a derivative distro will crop up.

Com64 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Com64 said:

You have to tweak it. Didn't have any virus problems, but yeah... less safe than Linux in practical terms (but Puppy runs as root, so it's not perfect either).

Back