Upgrading modem firmware

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I just wanted to make a thread about upgrading the modem firmware, so if anyone finds any information about that it can be in one place. It looks like it might be difficult to get the Pyra's modem to support VoLTE, which could make it not usable on US networks next year.

I suspect VoLTE support is more about getting the software working, than the firmware. I'm not sure how signalling and call setup work, but in terms of digitising the audio, that's all software, and from there on once you've set up the LTE connection just farm it out over that.

Reactions: rSl
I suspect VoLTE support is more about getting the software working, than the firmware. I'm not sure how signalling and call setup work, but in terms of digitising the audio, that's all software, and from there on once you've set up the LTE connection just farm it out over that.
Based on what I was seeing, it all happens inside the modem. The signaling and such is supposed to be automatic, the modem is told by the carrier what modes to be in and such. At least that's what I've gathered by reading about it.

There was discussion and citation on the discord...basically Pyra ships with Rev3 firmware which does not support volte. Rev4 firmware on the same modem does, but there are US legality issues, doesnt seem like any issues for EU for upgrading.

The idea is that volte needs an IMEI on a different range to be inherently ided as volte and discussion is that the firmware upgrade changes the IMEI somehow? That was all discussion speculation though.

I'm not sweating it at this point.

There was also speculation that the issue was that it wouldn't change the IMEI and so phone providers would refuse to allow it on their network since it would appear to still not support VoLTE. The issue is not a legal one, it's just a non-governmental body that most or all of the US phone network operators use certifies devices. They have certified the R3 and R4 versions of the modem, but an R3 updated to be an R4 will still look like an R3, basically. And changing IMEI is illegal. I think. Not sure if it's illegal if the manufacturer does it.

Still, I'm really, really hoping it can be upgraded. I can use a data-only SIM and a VoIP service like 1voip, but then I lose SMS ability entirely.

Still, I'm really, really hoping it can be upgraded. I can use a data-only SIM and a VoIP service like 1voip, but then I lose SMS ability entirely.
In my experience if you stick a data only sim in a phone and someone calls the number, it'll still ring. You might not be able to send any SMSes, for billing reasons, but you should still be able to receive them as long as you're not roaming.

Oh really? Interesting... It'd be nice if there were plans that included data and SMS but no voice and don't require VoLTE.

Any news on this? I'm actually having some other issues with the modem though, it won't load any web pages when I have the connection set up and have an IP address through it.

Can you ping somewhere through it (I generally use 8.8.4.4 [a DNS server maintained by google] or bbc.co.uk to test my connection). It's usually worth testing the simpler things before you try out the more complex ones.

Reactions: rSl
Back